006

▔▔▔▔▔
first person
2018, Wakanda

A gift. Something given usually to show appreciation for someone or something. Something that was given willingly without payment or expecting anything in return. Or maybe it means a talent or special ability. In this situation it could be both.

My powers. Something that was given to me willingly, maybe it was without expecting anything in return or maybe it was with malicious intent. Either way, I have them now. A gift, talent, or special ability is what's used to describe my powers. But what type of gift or talent is used to hurt people?

It's like getting a puppy for Christmas. The puppy is a gift. But it is also something you have to guide, train, and maintain. Something you need to learn to put the reigns on. What happens when you can't? Well, the puppy grows into a dog. An uncontrollable monster who brings harm on others. Overtime, you may want to get rid of this dog to help others, no?

Or you become selfish. You like the dog. Of course you did, you raised it, fed it, played with it, did everything you were supposed to do and yet they still became a monster. But you liked the dog. No matter how many people it hurt, you would love them. Because you've grown close, attached. The dog is a part of you. Now, instead of being able to control it, it controls you.

How could you live without it?

A gift. That is what I have. That same gift, is unattainable. The power to control darkness. What a lie. The dark controls you. It consumes you.

Don't you think if the dark was truly harmless, that people wouldn't be so scared of it? So scared of me.

▔▔▔▔▔
first person
2018, ???

I gasped awake, sitting up to find myself in the familiar dreary room. I appeared here every so often, it was no longer a surprise when I woke up here. I stood up from the cold concrete floor, spinning in circles to see that I was trapped. The four walls of the room were all built to be soft but firm, like a gym mat. There were no windows, no doors. Just me in a room.

There was a tap on my shoulder and I whipped around only to be met with an empty space. By now, I should've known to look up. But I didn't, too scared come face to face with the monster I knew loomed above me.

"y/n." My name echoed through the small room. I span again, looking in every direction to find the source of the voice. "You left us." The voice hissed, the words slithering through my ears. It sounded like they were whispering to me over my shoulder but yet, they were in the mountains. So close but so far. And I recognized the voice.

"No!" I denied into the air, still waiting for the girl to show herself.

"Yes. You abandoned us. You could've saved us."

"No!" I shouted again, squeezing my eyes shut while my hands flew to cover my ears. "No! I protected you! I tried to save you it's not my fault."

"You failed. You should've tried harder." The voice accused. I squeezed harder, pressing on the sides of my head so forcefully that it felt like my scull would pop. I fell to my knees, laying on my side and curling into myself, trying to block out the sounds as Raven continued to whisper.

"That's not the truth. He lied to me! He was supposed to help me. They- they both were." My voice spoke quietly, almost scared to hear the response. Because the truth is I was. I knew how these nights ended. I couldn't leave until they were done speaking. Held captive in my own mind, sometimes they'd even follow me out into the day.