Chapter 45: The Great Game: pt 15

Start from the beginning

Sherlock: Hmm. Not a patch on Connie Prince.

John: Have you given Mycroft the memory stick yet?

Sherlock: Yep. He was over the moon. Threatened me with a knighthood - again.

(Nikki just turns her gaze to her mate sceptically.)

John: You know, I'm still waiting.

Sherlock: Hmm?

John: For you to admit that a little knowledge of the solar system and you'd have cleared up the fake painting a lot quicker.

Sherlock: Didn't do you any good, did it?

John: No, but I'm not the world's only consulting detective.

Sherlock (smiling): True.

(John has closed the lid of his laptop and now stands up.)

John: I won't be in for tea. I'm going to Sarah's. There's still some of that risotto left in the fridge.

Sherlock (his eyes still fixed on the TV): Mm!

(John stops at the door.)

John: Uh, milk. We need milk.

Sherlock: I'll get some.

John (turning back with a look of disbelief on his face): Really?!

Sherlock: Really.

John: And some beans, then?

Sherlock (still not looking away from the TV): Mm.

(John hesitates, still surprised, but then nods and walks away. Sherlock continues to gaze at the TV until he hears the downstairs door open and close. Nikki gets up from sitting next to her mate drawing Sherlock's attention.)

Sherlock: Where are you going?

Nikki: I promised that I'd go out with Bekah for a few hours, I'll be back later. (leans down and kisses her mate's cheek before she leaves for her own flat)

(Sherlock picks up his computer notebook from where it was tucked down beside him once he heard Nikki's door close behind her. Putting it on his lap and opening the lid, he stares at the message box on The Science of Deduction website before starting to type.

Found. The Bruce-Partington plans. Please collect.

He lifts his eyes in thought for a moment, then quirks a small smile before returning to his typing.

The Pool. Midnight.

He sends the message, then closes the lid, gazing thoughtfully into the distance.)

(SWIMMING POOL. Sherlock opens a door leading into the area surrounding an indoor swimming pool. The lights are on but there is nobody visible in the area. He walks slowly towards the shallow end of the pool, probably very aware that the upper gallery where people sit and watch the swimmers is still in darkness. He stops at the edge of the pool and turns, trying to see up into the viewing gallery. Finally he turns towards the pool again, raising one hand and holding up the memory stick.)