Chapter 7: A Study in Pink: pt 4

***RECAP***

(He starts to hurry down the stairs again, pulling Nikki along with him.)

Sherlock: Look at her, really look! Houston, we have a mistake. Get on to Cardiff: find out who Jennifer Wilson's family and friends were. Find Rachel!

(The two mates reach the bottom of the stairs and disappear from view.)

Lestrade (calling after him): Of course, yeah - but what mistake?!

(Nikki and Sherlock came back into view and ran up a couple of stairs so that he can be seen before he stops and yells up to Lestrade.)

NIKKI/SHERLOCK: PINK!

***NOW***

(The two hurry off again. Lestrade, baffled, turns and goes back into the room while Anderson and his team, who had been waiting on the next landing down, hurry up the stairs and follow him into the room.)

Anderson: Let's get on with it.

(Forgotten by everyone else, John hesitates on the landing for a moment and then slowly starts making his way down the stairs. A couple more police officers hurry up and one of them bumps into him, throwing him off-balance and making him lurch heavily against the banisters. The man hurries on without a word, although his colleague does at least look apologetically at John as he passes. John regains his balance and continues down the stairs.)

(Shortly afterward he removed his coverall and put his jacket back on, and now walks out onto the street. Looking all around, he can see no sign of Sherlock. He walks towards the police tape, still looking around. Donovan, standing at the tape, sees him.)

Donovan: They're gone.

John: Who, Sherlock Holmes and Nichole Mikaelson?

Donovan: Yeah, they just took off. They do that.

John: Are they coming back?

Donovan: Didn't look like it.

John: Right.

(He looks around the area again thoughtfully, unsure what to do.)

John: Right ... Yes.

(He turns to Donovan again.)

John: Sorry, where am I?

Donovan: Brixton.

John: Right. Er, d'you know where I could get a cab? It's just, er ... well ... (he looks down awkwardly at his walking stick) ... my leg.

Donovan: Er ... (she steps over to the tape and lifts it for him) ... try the main road.

John (ducking under the tape): Thanks.

Donovan: But you're not his friend.

(John turns back towards her.)

Donovan: He doesn't have friends. So who are you?

John: I'm ... I'm nobody. I just met him.

Donovan: Okay, a bit of advice then: stay away from that guy.

John: Why?

Donovan: You know why he's here? He's not paid or anything. He likes it. He gets off on it. The weirder the crime, the more he gets off. And you know what? One day just showing up won't be enough. One day we'll be standing around a body and Sherlock Holmes will be the one that put it there.