14 - The Dark Child 🌕

Lady Dream Keeper

Written By: CrystalRust

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
The Dark Child

Could it be that this person has a grudge? But I don't have human friends

Could it be that this person has a grudge? But I don't have human friends. Did the city perhaps hired experts to investigate the city guards that died? I knew they would do so but to think they could hire someone to reach to the edge of the outer level is crazy. And crazy was beyond my expectations.

With familiarity of the terrain, I ran away from him with ease.

This predator continued to shoot arrow after arrow. I noticed my wound was cold and numb.

He had poisoned the arrows!

And if I didn't notice him, either he used a grimoire to do so or had other companions. Like a mage! They were very rare but not non existent.

I was angry at myself but all the more mad at the man for making me leave the parchment I worked hard to acquire.

I lured us into a snake's den and used the vines and branches to jump away and swing away from the man.

He wore a hood and he certainly looked older than me. His weight would be too much for the thin vines and branches, if he were ro imitate me. I don't think anyone can have the same kind of agility as I do. But he proved me wrong.

I reckon he is a scholar. He had a knack of proving theories wrong and revealing the truth!

I heard him fall down as he loss balance when the snakes lunged at his leg.

But another person used a rope and some device to trap him against the branch. He didn't fall but he was now unable to chase me.

Before I could breathe a sigh of relief, his companion who was also hooded like him, looked in my direction. I could feel the bloodlust in the air and I could feel hands eager to choke the life out of me!

But they couldn't give chase, the snakes were relentless and especially ferocious. We had entered their territory as they were at the peak of their hunger. They infested a large area of the forest, sometimes the prey they catch weren't able to feed them all.

Now, majority of them had fallen in a wide pit due to a sudden landslide that occurred a few years ago. But they could lunge to an unbelievable height! The land may have separated but the trees continued to tower around the environment, their branching entwined together, their vines clasped firmly to each other and their roots twirled around with the other tree's roots. The forest is so large, I cannot possibly grasp all the things that happened, so I don't know the cause of why the land broke apart.

The snakes had been practicing cannibalism amongst their kind and a new type of meat, flinging itself along their way would be heatedly welcomed with extended jaws and fangs dripping with deadly venom.

---

I had reached the middle area. I could survive here but I would need to be alert always. Unlike in the outer area where I could relax.

I sighed.

I burned a bunch of beady, sphere shaped flowers before I slept above the trees. I had stuffed a fistful of it as I expected what was to come after my little stunt. The flowers were a hallmark of another strong beast's territory in the south of the middle area. Normal beasts of the middle area would steer away.

With my body taut in tension and my alertness akin to an arrow against a bowstring all afternoon, exhaustion caught up to me and I fell into slumber.

××----------××

A/N:
If you're already this far in and haven't added this book to your library then please do so, to keep track of your reading progress. If you enjoyed the chapter and felt that it was worthy of a vote, please click the star icon. If you have any thoughts, please drop it below. See you in the next chapter!