20-Hunting Tournament 2

Start from the beginning

I don't speak much, but she controls the conversation. She goes off about the newest concert that will be performed soon. It is some famous opera company that will be playing in the royal theater for a couple of days. She gasps when I say I have not heard of them before. She says I have to watch it or else I will die miserably not knowing their performance. She proceeds to tell me who to contact so that I can quickly buy a good box.

"Well, if I call this man, will you join my box?" I ask, looking around the quiet and peaceful area. We have long let go of each other, which gives me the freedom to crouch and look at the tiny rabbit who carefully hops to us.

"No," She shakes her head as I take my attention off of the animal to her. "Marquis Florn has already reserved a box for us on opening night."

I look at her, seeing that she looks rather sad about it. I stand and slowly walk to her. "Marquis Florn, he's your betrothed, am I correct?"

She still doesn't make eye contact with me, just picking off the petals of some flower she has in her hand. "Yes. It's just that..." She looks around before walking to me and grabbing my hands. "Do you feel like you're not ready for marriage? My family needs to marry me off and of course it is my duty as a daughter... but I just want a few more years to myself."

I smile and hold her hands tightly. "I am also nervous about my wedding date. I do wish I can spend some more of my years at the Academy as a Master, but I know I have to become the Queen. I do have a duty to my family name, but I do wish we can be like the men. My brother isn't looking for marriage and... it's okay. He is older and ready to take the duchy, but marriage isn't forced on him. I'm... envious."

"He has more freedom," Lady Warrens sighs. "While I am not a Master, I just want to continue living my life before... my life isn't my own anymore. Soon it will be our life- the Marquis and I. Then it will be their life, our children and then... I'll just be forgotten."

I shake my head and pull a piece of loose hair away from her face. "Lady Warrens, you will never be forgotten. You are not the type of woman to be easily forgotten."

Her smiles waters, her eyes following in suit. She wraps her arms around me and I follow. We don't say anything. She backs up and her eyes are red and her cheeks are rosy.

The sound of a trumpet rings, the hunt is over. I help her stop her tears by fanning her face as she dabs the tears with her handkerchief. Once she's ready, we hold onto each other as we walk back. I believe it's a secret we hold. Many women dream of marriage, yet we don't want to be tied down. If we say this to others, it can create scandals that can harm our family names. 

I start a conversation about flowers, pointing out the types that are growing. With her free hand, she fusses with her outfit. I speak just to speak, easing her worries from our heavy conversation. We break the clearing and find that the men are starting to leave the forest.

I don't see my brother or Sir Pine. I wonder where they could be. We reunite with the girls. They fan themselves as they hide behind the fans to admire the men and gossip about what they see. I find it humorous they think they can't be seen. But, I follow them nonetheless and stay quiet. 

Lady Warrens controls conversation as if she wasn't tearing up just a few moments ago. I stay silent and watch the crowd. I frown when I see the Prince, but I hide it behind my fan. He is talking to Duke Stiling. Their posture is tense and Ivan doesn't look happy. They quickly walk to the side where they dump their remaining prizes.

At that moment I see my brother and smile. I see he's with Duke Driscol. They seem to be having a peaceful conversation. I make eye contact with my brother and he waves. I wave back. I make eye contact with the Duke and wave to him as well. All the participants stand in a crowd and they face the podium where Ivan stands. He quiets the crowd and he gives his speech. I look around for Sir Pine but I can't find him.