13. A New Beginning

Start from the beginning

"Oh," I sigh. That explains why I just don't feel normal, but my major concern is if I am going to continue racing after this head injury because I know spatial disorientation in car racing is not good. "Is it confirmed that I have the three of them?"

I am scared of the answer. "It is not for sure you have the three of them, but the doctors suspect you do. The only one they have confirmed you have is lost of most depth perception."

I swallow hard trying to relax. "Does this mean that I won't be able to race at all?"

"No, not at all. There are a ton of drivers that have suffered concussions and have continued racing. According to the doctors, balance is easy to recover, and spatial disorientation will take some months, but as long as it is not too bad you will be able to race."

That makes me feel better, but he omitted something which means it is not something I want to hear.

"What about depth perception?" I ask scared.

"Well, the doctors say you won't be able to recover it all since the severeness of it. You will be able to recover some of it, but not all. But don't worry that one is not too important for racing, so as long as you recover some of it, you will be able to race."

I know he is not completely sure of that. His tone indicates it. He is not sure of it, he is more hoping it is true.

"Don't worry, I promise it will be okay."

I know he is not sure of that, but hearing him say it makes me feel better.

A nurse opens the door and enters to check on me.

"Oh you are awake," she doesn't sound too surprised. "How are you feeling? Are you in any pain?"

"My head hurts a lot, and I feel some pain here," I say pointing toward my right rib.

"Okay, I'll bring some medicine, and increment the dose of morphine."

She gets out of the room.

"Do you have my phone?" I ask wondering how many messages I will have from my friends asking me why I didn't go to school. Also, I want to know what day it is because I don't even know that.

"Yeah, here."

He pulls it out of his pocket and gives it to me. My phone is full of messages from my friends as I predicted. Most are from Carlos and Fer, and some are from Tiago, Ivy, and Natalia. I feel disappointed when I see that there are none from Mau. It hurts. Normally he would have been one of the first to ask why I wasn't at school, but now he didn't even care.

I'm about to answer the messages from my friends when someone knocks on the door. Charles stands up and opens the door. There are two men standing there waiting to be let in. Both of them are dressed formal and look like serious people. I know who they are. The detective and the psychiatrist.

"Come in," says Charles, and I can tell that he's already talked to them. I wait for them to talk first.

The one that looks more like the detective whispers something in English to Charles that I can't hear. He nods and gets close to my bed.

"Hey, they want to talk to you in private without me here," he says trying not to alarm me. I don't like that, I don't know these people, and in most situations, I wouldn't mind them, but right now I am weak so if they try to hurt me or anything I have no way to escape or defend myself. Plus, Charles makes me feel safe. I don't want him to leave. I shake my head, and pleading him to stay. I really don't want to be alone with these two men. "It will be fine, I will be outside if you need anything, okay?"