Mind Confrontations

"It's not good, K," Dave says.

Dave sits back in the command chair.  Instead of connecting telepathically with Kyrilles he has opened a communication channel.  Dealing with Sergeant Payne had given him a headache.

"You learned something from that psycho cop on Acadia station?"

"Yes. He was part of the false runaway program that Psy Corps set up. Based upon what I learned he had several people, none of whom are psy cops, involved in directing telepaths through the system. This allowed him, and Psy Corps, to track their movements and identify those who had contact with the telepaths. He basically confirmed that Psy Corps is pushing the renegade telepaths toward Achelous station. I think Psy Corps has purposefully not placed any Psy Corps representatives there or in on the nearby systems so the runaways will think the sector is safe. The psy cops are probably off hiding someplace, just waiting to pounce."

"You think it's a trap?"

"No doubt. And from what that bastard had in him it is going to be sprung soon. I'm not sure how many are in danger but I need to help them."

"Don't you think it might also be a trap for you?"

"It's possible. But Sergeant Payne didn't have any of that in him. Though, I'm sure they'd be happy to catch me as part of this roundup."

"Well, it will take over three weeks of travel to get there. We won't have time to stop and let our latest guest off."

"I don't think Ursula will be too disappointed. I think she is enjoying the first class traveling accommodations you provide."

"Does that mean you think we should be doing space tours?"

Dave laughs. "Where did that come from?"

"Well, we are carrying several guests. And they do much less damage to me compared to the compressed metals and ore. It might be a much easier way to earn credits. Though I don't think the tour director is doing a very good job."

Dave lets out a loud guffaw and then laughs hard. "So, are you looking for a replacement?"

"Not yet. I think I'll give him another chance. I've gotten kind of used to him."

0

"What happened to the rest," Talia asks.

"They got past the net the psy cops set up. I'm not sure where they are but they should be heading toward Kyrilles or the other safe ships. You need to worry about yourselves," Dave says to her and the others.

He takes a quick count of the people gathered around him in the still under construction portion of the Achelous station. He managed to gather twenty-five telepaths, mostly human but a couple from other races, who were caught up in the Psy Corps runaway sweep. Since Psy Corps only cares about human telepaths they will turn the non-human ones over to their governments. While some races have their own Psy Corps, others fear telepaths so much that if someone even has a gene related to telepathic abilities then the potential telepath will either be sterilized and sedated for the rest of their lives or worse, executed without even a trial.

Thanks to those conspiring with Psy Corps, almost one hundred telepaths had been channeled to the station. Many more were being pushed that way. Fortunately, as soon as Dave learned about the plot he worked to warn as many as he could. Those not yet at the station were able to change their plans and divert to safer locations. Dave then sent his allies to take them to safety. Against the advice of his friends and co-conspirators Dave traveled to Achelous station to see if he could rescue those who do not know they are heading into a trap. Besides Kyrilles, he had two other hyperspace-capable transports to help carry the telepaths. Dave also had three ex-shadow fighters hidden nearby in hyperspace to provide protection if necessary.