Thirteen | The Marshlands

Start from the beginning

"Excuse my attire. I was gardening." She waved me off, but her white and blue striped button-up, sleek pants, and rain boots looked perfect compared to my dirty overalls. Although, I did not expect her to do yard work.

I left my backpack in the storage container under the seat and followed Nora into her house. The slim memories I had of this house came rushing back as we walked toward the cream and grey colored stone and wood exterior.

While my childhood home was ornate with deep red shades and rustic brown furniture, the inside of Nora's home was cool in color and temperature and smelled like lemons, and it looked more like a show house than a lived-in space.

Nora neatly took her boots off by the back door. So, I did too.

"Take a seat wherever you'd like. Is Earl Grey fine?"

I told her yes and brushed the lingering dirt from my pants before sitting on the light blue cushions.

"Not the best day for boating, hmm?" she said, filling a teapot with the pasta arm.

"I guess not." I glanced at the sparse raindrops hitting the window. "Not a good day for gardening either."

"Unfortunately not. What were you doing out in the marsh?"

It was an innocent question, but it felt prying. "Just going for a ride, observing nature."

She smiled, placing two tea bags in matching mugs. "You remind me so much of your mother, and you know she used to stop by for tea all the time."

"Did she?"

"Yes, which means you are also welcome to come over anytime. The house gets lonely with only Tom and me here." She set a steaming mug on the table and sat opposite me. "I know Zoe has been away for years, but I'm still not used to having an empty nest."

Zoe's name triggered the image of Weston. "How's Zoe doing? Where'd she end up living?" I asked, even though I knew. A strange expression tugged on Nora's face.

"Zoe is working as a Women's Health Nurse Practitioner in New York."

I acted surprised and avoided mentioning another Nurse Practitioner I knew we both were thinking of. Before I could say anything else, Nora continued. "It's a shame you were in different graduating classes. I feel like you both would have been best friends. She's coming to visit soon; you should plan to go for coffee."

My skin prickled, and I sat straighter. "Zoe's coming to visit?"

"Yes, she's coming home to visit and helping with the fundraiser."

Nora kept talking, but I interacted on autopilot, my brain filled with thoughts of Zoe and Weston seeing each other again.

I felt guilty for my territorial feelings over Wes, but he was my only true friend right now and the only person I felt safe with sharing my feelings.

Did he know she was coming back?

He told me there was nothing between him and Zoe. Of course, I believed him, but she was a direct tether to Nora, who currently was someone I did not fully trust, considering she had tight control over what the public should and shouldn't know. I know she was one of the main reasons people had poor opinions about me, the estranged daughter.

"I was doing some thinking, and we need to involve you more in planning this event. It will be healing for you to be a part of the committee and have people around you who care.

Emotions clawed at my throat, a mixture of sadness and irritation. I pushed the handle of my mug back and forth to distract myself. "Thanks, Nora. I'll think about it."