Three | Blue House Ghost

I WAITED UNTIL THE LAST possible moment to drive into town

It took a lot of contemplation, but the last thing I wanted was for my body to freeze and die from tetanus, simply because I did not want to deal with the blue house ghost again—who was called Weston now.

The town's main drag was linked by connecting walls and narrow alleyways where local restaurants, a lone floral shop (run by the same family) a library, and Oliver's Coffee shop stood. An old church sat haphazardly on its foundation at the end of the street. The view of the sparkling water behind it.

Amidst everything was a beige-bricked building older than every resident here.

The creaking of a rusty metal sign screeched above the door. It still had Dr. Wagner's name etched into the wood, but on the front door was a makeshift sign that read—

Weston Turner, Advanced Practice Registered Nurse

Nurse Practitioner. Now it made sense; it was his duty to help me, not a desire. No wonder he was so apathetic last night. Some random woman cuts her foot on a nail, and he feels morally obligated to help.

I pushed through the front door. The stale scent of wicker chairs and expired mint filled my nose, sending me back in my memories to when my parents brought me here when I was younger. I left with a cherry lollipop each time.

The secretary who had been here as long as Dr. Wagner greeted me by pushing her glasses further up the bridge of her nose. "Hi, what can I do for you?"

"Hi, I'm here to see Weston Turner."

"Do you have an appointment?"

"I don't." I paused, rocking on my heels. "Could you tell him Ivey Pierce is here?" The moment the question left my mouth, I internally swore at myself. Weston did not know my name because I never told him. Because he didn't care enough to ask.

Her harsh features softened. "Are you Logan and Ester's daughter?"

Here we go. "I am."

"It's wonderful to see you again, Ivey. I'm so sorry for your loss."

Even though I hadn't known this woman personally, I told her it was great to see her again too and thanked her because that's what my parents would have wanted.

Just as I was about to explain how Weston didn't know my name, the door to the right of the front desk opened.

Our eyes locked first, and he looked different in this light.

He wore black slacks, a light blue button-up shirt with a patternless navy tie. A white lab coat donned his shoulders, and a stethoscope hung loosely around his neck. It had been a while since I had seen a man so well kept. Most of the men I worked with wore hiking boots and crouched behind trees—that's if we weren't in the office.