"You what?!"

Todoroki POV
It's been 3 days since I found out that Izuku doesn't have an ear. Every time I bring it up he makes an excuse and runs away. Yesterday evening, I told myself that I would ask his mum, if anyone would know it would be her. That's why I am currently standing at the door to where she lives. Izuku is shopping with Uraraka today so I know he won't be in the house for a few hours and Uraraka said she'd text when they come back. I gently knocked on the door a few times.
"Hi Shoto," Inko said, inviting me inside.
"Good morning mrs Midorya," I greeted.
"You know you can call me Inko," she responded, smiling with a smile that reminded me of Izuku's.
"I came to ask about something," I said.
"Ask away," she replied.
"How did Izuku loose his left ear?" I asked.
"I don't know..." she responded, her face darkening, she looked sad. I thought his own mother would know how he got a life changing injury. Neither of us said anything for a while. "The truth is, I'm only his adoptive mother," she told me, my eyes widened with surprise. "I adopted him when he was 12, he dyed his hair and wears eye contacts to match me but he still hasn't told me anything about his past before then," she finished. Not even his adoptive mother knows. I'll try and ask Izuku again but if he hasn't even told Inko, what are the chances of him telling me anything? That evening I went to his room after he had training so he couldn't just avoid me. When I entered, he looked up at me, a weak smile on his face. He probably knows what I'm going to ask about. I sat down next to me.
"Just ask..." he said, his voice quieter than usual.
"What happened? not even Inko knows," I asked.
"What did she tell you?" he responded.
"She adopted you when you were 12 and you changed your appearance to match her," I told the green haired boy... or whatever his natural hair colour actually is-
"She told you a lot then?" he said.
"What happened?" I asked, placing my hand where his left ear should be.
"I cut it off..." he whispered.
"You what?!" I yelled, my eyes widening with horror. Why the hell would he cut off his ear?!
"Like I said, I cut it off. Not gonna say why, that gets messy," he responded his face dull.
"That's a start," I said to myself while pulling him into a gentle hug.