thirty seven.

Começar do início

  "So what are you saying? Does the beast not exist?"

  "Yes, I'm assuming the King of Hearts made it seem as if it was real, resulting the manipulation of the players."

  "Then... who is the King of Hearts?" he asked.

  His question sounded like he already knew, trying to push you into realizing it too.
  You tried to replay everything from the moment you joined the game. But that was useless, because you had to replay moments from before the second stage even started.

  The first time you met Keiju, he appeared as someone that knew exactly what to do. He was more skilled than you, he knew exactly how things will play out. He read people almost immediately, he even read you. The Jokers game was probably his favorite game during his time in the borderlands. He met there the only person that was able to change his plans and thoughts. Keiju wasn't someone that liked teamwork, because he hadn't met anyone to keep up with him. You were the only one able to understand his ways and complete them. As if you were the missing piece, ready to fill his entire being.
  The moment he picked you up after you got shot and took you to the Beach, he understood that there was something about you that he couldn't find in anyone else. While you were unconscious, he did his unresolved business with two of the executives. Kuzuryu and Mira. He couldn't back out even if he wanted to, but those two agreed to keep up with the lie he was going to tell you about him. His lie went smoothly and then left the Beach perimeter in order to finish his only priority. A game.
  Once you found him again, after he completed his tasks, he felt as if he was free. Free to be around you, at last, before having to ruin it all. You allowed him to be selfish, and he took it. The King of Spades left that day, because he saw him.
  He convinced you to play the King of Hearts and the entire game he tried to manage the way the game was played.
  As everything started to make sense to you, the feeling of just getting betrayed again couldn't be stopped. He played you from the start and lured you into his own game.

  "It's you, isn't it?" you answered and deep down, you really hoped he would say otherwise.

  "You might hate me and my actions, but don't doubt my feelings. I was never dishonest about them to you."

  "Did you kill the other two?" them disappearing was the most convenient way for Keiju.

  "Why ask if you already know the answer?" he expectedly replied. "I won't try to justify it, because we both know there is no way of switching up the truth now. Hatter was never my uncle, but I did know him enough to make it sound believable. There is no beast, only speakers placed all around the building to make it seem as if there is one. I killed the other two men in this game, because to me they don't matter. I am the King of Hearts and I did convince you to play my game... because it was the only one I could make sure you'll clear."

You looked at him totally taken aback, with no words left for this situation. He claimed that he always stayed truthful to his feelings, that was the only thing you could believe coming from him. Because even now, when only one of you could get out of the maze alive, he put you first instead of himself.

"What about the book you were supposed to write?" you asked feeling your eyes starting to sting and get filled with salty tears. After he noticed the tears starting to run down your face, he took a few steps closer until there was only a single step separating the two of you. Both of his hands touched each of your cheeks to wipe the unwanted tears.

"You'll just have to write it for me." he said with a faint smile on his face.

𝟷𝟶 𝙼𝙸𝙽𝚄𝚃𝙴𝚂 𝚁𝙴𝙼𝙰𝙸𝙽𝙸𝙽𝙶.

"I don't want you to die." you said feeling your heart shatter.

  "I know." he said and then wrapped his hands on either side of your body, trying to comfort you with a warm hug through the cold darkness. "Thank you, Y/N. For changing the way I view things and allowing me to feel more than I should've." he thanked you before letting you go. "Take the left from here and soon the way will split again. Go right and you'll see a path formed on your left, keep going left until there's a door in front of you. The door should look differently than the first one that girl entered. The correct door is bigger and made of metal. I won't come with you, because this game needs to be at least half fair, right?"

  "Right... So if I don't escape in time, you'll survive?"

  "I'm flattered if you're considering to let me live, but don't. Because if you'll die, this game will keep standing and some new players will join until I'll finally be defeated. And I want you to be the one defeating me."

  Keiju was right. If you weren't the one clearing the game, someone else will be. And his last wish is for you to be the only one surviving his game. The right thing to do was respect it, even if it hurt you more than words could explain. It was for him.
  You gave him one last look before following his indications.

  While you were trying to look for the exit, Keiju sat down on the cold floor. As his back touched a wall, he smiled waiting for his time to come. He knew you'll find the exit and live, even if it was one of the hardest things to do. And he was grateful for that. Realistically, you were the only one that could survive for sure and Keiju didn't want to see the image of you dying in vain.
  His right hand went inside one of his pockets and took out the little piece of paper you gave him. It was the most significant thing he ever received, having it on the way to give his last breath was all he could ask for.

  You found yourself standing in front of the big door made of metal that Keiju mentioned. A flying thought was making you hesitate. He could've lied. Just like how he lied since you met him. But he had no reason to, knowing that eventually he will die as well. So you softly placed your hand on the doorknob and opened the door slowly.
  The first thing you expected was a blinding light to fill your vision that got adjusted to the darkness of the abandoned building. But it was night when you exited the building with a very obvious pain in your heart. It felt like leaving a huge part of yourself inside and losing it forever.
  An explosion of the blimp happened and it destroyed everything left of the King of Hearts game. And one of the most important people you've met.

 And one of the most important people you've met