Episode 7 : The Family Dinner

Start from the beginning

Kartik(sternly): Vihaan...pull up your sleeves and eat...don't spoil your uniform.

Vihaan pulls up his sleeves obediently without throwing any tantrums, because the little boy could feel the tension and heated atmosphere building up in the dining room. However, he did not care less so he continued enjoying his pudding.

Rajan(looking down at his plate; murmuring): Someone please explain it to him, apne bacche ko bematlab ka daantne se tum ek ideal father nahi ban jaate...

Kartik stops the spoon midway in the air, as he hears the taunt from his father in law that was intentionally directed towards him.

Hema and Saanvi exchange tensed glances.

Passing a sombre look to Rajan, Kartik picks up his phone from the table and starts scrolling through his mails trying to find a distraction.

He was in no mood to put up an argument with his father in law and spoil the mood of the dinner.

He knew Hema must have planned this dinner with much hopes, so he did not want to ruin it for her.

Moreover, he knew his father in law was just being grumpy. That was his dominant behavioural trait.

He shouldn't mind it because he knew Rajan didn't actually mean any of the taunts. There have been times when his father in law has been doting and a complete ball of sugar too, though those times are practically rare.

Trying to maintain the sanity at the dining table, Hema diverts the route of the impending conversation -

Hema(pouring curry in Vihaan's bowl): Kartik...tumhare parents kaise hain? (to Vihaan) Vihu...saapidu adhai (eat it)

Vihaan nods obediently and picks up his spoon to pour the curry in rice.

Rajan(suddenly interested): Yes, how is Mr. Malhotra? I miss playing chess with him...

Kartik: Mom and Dad are fine...

Rajan: Delhi mein hain na?

Kartik: Yess...

Rajan: Did you go to meet them anytime recently?

Kartik: I tried in summer...lekin kaam aa gaya...toh I had to cancel the tickets...

Hema: Ayyo...why kanna? You shouldn't ignore your parents like that...after all you're a single child...they must miss you badly...kaam ka kya hai? Kaam toh zindagi bhar lage rehta hai...par parents zindagi bhar nahi rahege tumhare saath...

Kartik: (sighs) Maine tickets book kar li hain, Amma...Vihaan and I are going to Delhi during Diwali...

Hema: Fir theek hai...(continues eating)

Rajan(to Kartik): Corporate race mein itna bhi mat kho jao ki tum apno ko hi bhool jao...learn to set your priorities...

Kartik doesn't reply anything to Rajan. He continues eating from his plate.

Rajan(continues): Vihaan se toh tum ek din bhi door nahi reh sakte...isliye toh usey weekends pe bhi yahan nahi aane dete ho...socho tumhare parents ka kya haal hota hoga tumse itne dino tak door rehke... (scoffs) you clearly don't know anything about maintaining a work-life balance...

Kartik stops eating and looks at his father-in-law with a defeated face. At this point, he was ready to accept that all flaws are in him and that his father-in-law is always right, to avoid any further argument with him. He just wanted his peace of mind.

Once again, Hema tries to divert the conversation sensing the uneasy and strained atmosphere.

Hema: Saanvi...