5 - the hit

By 11 am, the sun had begun to shine, bringing out an orange cast against the igloos and onto the snow. Breakfast was consumed as early as possible to buy them time with daylight, and together they had discovered that the agenda for the family was varied. Skiing was a part of the main plan, and for Nike, her father planned to take her for a reindeer ride. There was no chance for Agnetha to say no to her littlest granddaughter who begged her to stay with her. Luckily enough, the ski village and the reindeer rides were located around the same area, giving the grandparents the chance to enjoy seeing each of the activities their grandkids wanted to do.

As the plans were agreed on in the restaurant, Björn stepped aside towards the reception with Jens to arrange rides for the large family's accommodation. A glance of coincidence captured Björn's eyes and he'd found a wall of board games. Scrabble. Monopoly. Jenga. But there wasn't one he was looking for.

"The car should be arriving in ten minutes. Please feel free to sit anywhere you'd like. The ride shouldn't be longer than 15 minutes to the village." The elder man's attention was taken by the communication and he came back around to the front of the desk.

"Thank you," Jens said, pushing off his lean against the desk.

"Do you by chance have Chess?" Björn wondered randomly to the receptionist. "I see all these games but if you have Chess that would be fantastic."

"We have Chess in the quiet sitting area, in the library." That wasn't going to work, he thought.

"Would it be a problem if I borrowed it?"

"No, not at all. Be my guest," the man told him, and Björn was pleased to hear that.

"Promise I will return it with all the pieces!"

"Chess?" Jens asked. "Do you play it?" Björn looked at him and laughed, as if he hadn't written a musical surrounding the theme of the game.

"To be honest, I haven't in a long time."

"Who's playing?" he wondered, then recalled conversations at dinner. "Agnetha?"

"In case she wants to," he said calmly and walked towards the library like he was directed.

"No kidding? Does she know how to play?"

"Oh, she knows how to play," Björn laughed. "She might change the rules a bit and make them her own, but she plays well enough." Björn checked his wrist and found the time was plenty enough to cover his trip to the igloo and back before the ride in the van to the village. He had a box to collect the board game that was sitting idly for what looked like it could have been ages, and he was gone in no time. That board game will finally be put to better use.

The family hopped off the van one after the other, all dressed in thermal snow gear— the snowsuits, hats, gloves, and boots. Even the grandparents were standing in similar attire to keep their bodies warm as they will stay out in the cold watching and enjoying the chilly winter activities.

The ski mountain was a large hill that nearly frightened Agnetha once she'd finally stepped closer and lifted the goggles off of her eyes. She hadn't seen one in years, decades even, and though she wouldn't be skiing it didn't frighten her any less. Her grandchildren were active kids, they were brave enough to do a list of things that made her eyes pop out each time, and though she feared how far they could go with it, she encouraged them every step of the way. Perhaps she would endlessly encourage them, but when it came to hearing that Björn would try skiing after all these years, her brows raised and she waited silently. She was relieved when she heard he wouldn't yesterday, and now he has suddenly changed his mind.

"Björn, no. Don't do it," she finally said.

"Why not? You should do it too. I remember it was fine. Perhaps after an hour or so." He had brought his attention to her length beside him, standing beautifully in a lavender suit.