Chapter Twenty-Two

Boxing day

Donovan wakes me up and tells me he'll be back for the project soon, he's just going to see his friends quickly and I just let him be, I don't own him or control him so he can do what he likes.

Maisie, Carter, Delaney and Dacre are going to Aunt Tara's and I give them the presents I'd have given them if I went over but I was way too busy right now and they knew that.

I get ready and put my dirty clothes in a plastic bag and chuck them into my room before locking the door and doing some river assignments.

I go downstairs and eat some breakfast before getting a workout in their gym, which I liked a lot. I sweat a lot after that and then I play some games on the xbox with Delia and then go upstairs to shower because I stink.

I can't help but feel like Donovan is starting to push it a little bit. He left at ten in the morning and it's now five in the evening. It's dark outside and the snow is starting again.

I ask Dean to borrow his phone to call him and with no hesitation, he hands it to me and I call him.

When Donovan finally picks up, he's drunk as hell.

I can tell because he's slurring his words.

"Tell that boring girl to go home, I'm not working on the stupid project, I'll see you later, byeeee." And even though every other word was slurred, I heard that loud and clear.

I cut the phone and get my laptop from my room and go back to his and start typing up some accounts of us spending time together and do the worksheets we were meant to do together, fabricating answers based of the little information we know about each other.

I, to an extent, know about myself but fall short when I come to the sibling question and family questions. I leave them blank and I tell myself to fill them out just before we have to hand them in.

I answer everything about Donovan that I can but I don't have to look far to see a lot about him. The photos in his room give me everything I need.

His family, his friends, what sports he plays and more.

I eventually print and put all the papers together and then find a post it note and write a message.

"I completed the accounts and I can finish the others later." I put my name and then put everything away and make my way back downstairs for dinner.

I spent four hours on this stupid thing and now I was hungry as hell and sort of upset. I guess I didn't need to hear how boring I was because I know I'd call myself boring if my younger self met me today.

I know I'm boring but I didn't know how to be interesting anymore. Not without drugs or alcohol which I was firm in my opinion about, I was staying away.

Every single day of these past 8 years had been incredibly taxing and I didn't need some resident asshole telling me that I was boring.

I know I'm boring, I know, I know, I know.

It's all that goes through my head as I eat the meal that Paisley had so amazingly cooked and even though my mind is faded, I thank her and make my way back upstairs to Donovan's room.

Maybe I could stay in Maisie and Dacre's room or Delaney's but I know they'd be back tonight and they'd wonder what's going on.

How could I explain to them that a shithead like Donovan upset me.

I put the mattress, duvet and pillows away because I won't sleep there, I'll just do some work until I feel tired and then go to my bed.

I don't want to be here anymore.

I smash out all of my assignments but it's kind of hard to do and by the time I've got three left, I'm sort of sleepy and I put my head down to sleep.

***

I can feel someone in the room and when I listen and smell, it's Donovan and I think a girl.

"There's a girl here! I don't want to sleep with you when there's a girl in here." She says and I'm glad she doesn't want to because now I'm awake.

I can hear her leave and I listen as Donovan sighs and just paces around his room.

He goes to his sink and splashes water somewhere because he groans softly when it makes contact with what is probably his face.

I don't forget to make the mistake of making my breathing sounds which I knew how to do because of wilderness and I can feel him looming over me.

He reads out the note.

"She did it? She didn't wait? Her English is terrible." He sighs as he puts it down but he then picks me up and puts me on his bed and then I can hear him in the shower.

Oh my God.

I can feel my heart beating at a millions miles an hour because I can't believe that's just happened. He said my English is terrible.

I guess he doesn't know that I heard him on the phone and did the project.

Dean comes in and waits. Donovan leaves the bathroom and gets ready in his mirror, I can see him through very, very closed eyes.

"Donny, have you seen my phone?" I forgot to give Dean his phone back.

"No, I haven't seen it since you called me, why would it be in here?" He's putting some clothes on over his boxers and shirtless self.

"I didn't call you, that was Gigi." I see him stop and look at Dean and then me.

"Check my desk."

"Aw yeah, it's here, thanks Donny and tell Gigi thanks for taking care of it." Dean is a sweet kid.

Donovan comes to his bed and lies down.

"Oh God, I'm sorry." He says and I don't know whether he's literally praying or saying it to me while I'm asleep but I'm not accepting his apology.

Not right now.