James Norrington - Would you love me for who i am?

It's hard sometimes. Falling in love is hard, it's a gamble and a risk that you take despite the odds. Whether they've fallen in love with you, or their ideal version of you, even someone completely different but they pretend because your comfortable for them.

James and you were inseparable since you were children. He's tug your hair when you were children, when you were both teenagers he'd pull you in at the waist instead. Teasing. Constant playful teasing.

Until a new family came. The Swann's. They had a stunning daughter with deep brown eyes and beautiful blonde hair. She had a tiny figure, fitting into corsets easily. Elizabeth wasn't uptight like most, she was a kind woman with a kind heart who would do anything for anyone. Especially William turner.

She hated how one man liked her so much, and how much everyone believed he was an ideal match. Who was he? James Norrington.

You were sat in her bedroom just talking about life when she raised the question.

"Y/N, I don't want to tell you this. But, my father was asked by Norrington for my hand in marriage... are you still in love with him?"

It took you a back, that was to say the least. It shocked you, your skin was pail your body went cold.

"Well.. I mean yes of course I do, but... I thought you didn't like him,"

"I don't, you know I'm in love with Will but we can't be together,"

A knock responded at the front door, a man by all accounts, greeted kindly by her.

"He used to love me, until... until,"

"Until what?"

"Before he fell head of heels for you, we were going strong, but then I got ill. I lost a lot of weight, my health as you know is still bad. He called us off, hasn't spoke to me since,"

"Because of your appearance?"

"Yeah,"

Elizabeth's father called you, you exited her room promptly to the call and descended the stairs in your night dress. You are staying the night, having an evening in together, this wasn't customary. It displayed the beautiful figure you held, it didn't matter how you once look, who you were now was a stunning woman, grown up, and a mature personality.

"Good evening, miss," the maid came to the end of the stairs and graciously held your hand.

"Thank you," you looked up to see the man before you. "Commodore Norrington, why did you want me?"

"Y/N," he coughed, clearing his throat. "Elizabeth, she told me about you."

"What did she tell you about me? Never mind, I don't want know,"

"I came to apologies for my actions, it seems I got ahead of myself and lost focus of what was important. I should have told you myself that things were over, rather than in a letter,"

There it was again. The reminder of how he'd told you things were ending with him. He hadn't plucked up the courage, or the Dutch courage to tell you himself.

"Would you love me for who I am, James? You loved me back then, but you stopped loving me once my appearance changed," a small tears welled in the corner of your eye, stinging the skin.

"What do you mean? Of course, I loved you for who you are,"

"Good evening, commodore," you turned around and ascended the stairs not looking back, vigorously. "Commodore."

The word was a whisper under your breath, spitting the ferocity of your opinion. The filth of what he'd become. Before, he'd avoid a subject by addressing the topic without addressing the question. Because, he knew he was in the wrong, and never wanted to apologise. Apologies weren't his strong suit, they never had been, and so was love.

Love was hard for him. Not for you. But, now he'd turned you into him.