' It's certainly going to be all right ' Alicent said, not knowing herself whether to believe it.

A husband other than Aemon had never even occurred to her in her dreams, and yet she had to admit that he was probably right.

If their father had wanted to have them wed, he could have done so long ago.

Alicent was sure, however, that it was less due to their father's unwillingness and much more due to their mother's opposition that they were not yet betrothed, let alone wed. ' I've been to see him, told him how we feel about each other. Surely he'll make the right decision.'

' I talked to him, too ' Aemon said, smiling honestly for the first time that morning.

' You too? '  she asked, surprised.

' Of course. I wanted him to know. Do you really think I would allow anyone else to have you, my love? '

Alicent had to smile now, too, and felt the blush rise to her face.

Aemon seemed to notice this, for his smile grew even wider.

For a while they sat there, looking at each other and saying nothing.

' What will we do if our father decides otherwise? ' she finally asked.

' He won't. '

' But what if he does? '

Aemon leaned forward, swift as a viper, grasped her head and ended her sentence with a kiss on the mouth.

Willingly she opened her lips for him and let herself drown in the sweetness of his kiss and the warmth of his touch.

' I would never allow such a thing to happen ' he said, as their lips far too soon parted again. ' I love you. Only you. There is no other I would ever accept. And most certainly I would rather die than allow you to be given another man. '

' That's sweet of you. But but we should talk about it. Seriously talk about it. What if father decides otherwise? '

' We will then take some gold and silver from the treasury, a good sword, and go to Essos. Just the two of us. '

' Just the two of us? '

'Just the two of us. '

~

' Alicent, Aemon, you know what this is about. So I will come straight to the point. It is never easy for a father to make this decision for his children ' their father began to speak, his eyes fixed firmly on the table in front of him. ' As you know, your mother and I have quite different views on what is best for House Targaryen in general and for the two of you in particular. Since neither of us wants to force you to do anything you don't want, your mother and I have decided to make you offers. '

Aemond looked first at her then at Aemon, apparently waiting for a reaction.

Alicent glanced briefly out of the corner of her eye at her brother, whose brow was furrowed in deep creases. When neither of them responded or answered in any way, their mother took a small step forward and began to speak.

' Alicent ' their mother said, ' since you are our eldest child you enjoy certain special rights when it comes to choosing a husband '

' Special rights? ' Alicent asked.

' We have compiled a list of lords from good families who are of suitable age and unmarried. '

With these words, their mother pulled a paper from her sleeve, rolled it up, and handed it to her.