Chapter 18: February Soiree

Start from the beginning

"Oh, yeah!" Her face lit up. "They told me na ipatatawag nila si Regina at ipare-review 'yong financial reports ng club niya. They found enough reason to seriously consider the possibility that she and her officers were misusing their budget."

"Mukhang pina-practice mo na ang pagiging investigative journalist mo, ah?" I commented. "No one suspected that they're doing something suspicious until you decided to dig deeper."

"Alam mo namang HUMSS ang balak kong kunin na strand sa senior high, so I consider this as a preview of what I want to be in the future." Her brown eyes sparkled as she talked about her dream. Then she frowned. "But my dad is against it. Gusto niyang ABM ang kunin kong strand para makapag-Business Management ako sa college. He wants me to walk the path that he's already paved for me."

"And are you going to walk on that path?"

Her lips curled into a forced smile. "I'll find a way not to. Even if I have issues with dad, I know that he believes he has my best interest at his heart. Kaso hindi niya ako kino-consult sa kung ano ang gusto ko. Kaya lalo kaming nagkakaroon ng friction."

"My dad wants me to take ABM as well," I shared. "Pero in-explain ko sa kanya na HUMSS talaga ang gusto kong kunin. After some convincing, he gave me his nod. I have to give credit to my mom who has always been supportive with my decisions. Siya ang back up ko kaya napabago ko ang isip ni Dad. Maybe you can try explaining to your dad why you don't want to take up ABM? He might listen to your concerns."

She covered her mouth as she let out a laugh. "Ilang beses ko nang naikuwento sa 'yo si Papa, 'di ba? You know how he's like. Once his mind is made up, it can't be changed anymore. I would have probably more chance of convincing a rock than him."

"But at least try," I advised. Nothing was wrong with trying anyway. "No matter how small or close to zero the chances are—as long as they're not entirely nil—there's still the possibility that a person can change their mind. Tito Walter listens to reason."

"Only when it comes to his business dealings. But when it comes to me, his word is law. Huwag na nga nating pag-usapan si Papa. Nawawalan tuloy ako ng ganang ubusin 'to kapag naiisip ko kung paano niya ire-reject ang reasoning ko. Basta I will try my best to make sure that I become a journalist someday."

Knowing her, she would surely find a way to make that happen. Hindi siya agad-agad susuko dahil lamang sa isang balakid sa daan niya. Some could say that she was being stubborn, but I would call it a being tenacious.

"I'm curious. Bakit hindi ka sumali sa student pub natin?" I asked. She wanted to change the topic, so I obliged. "Pwede mo ring training ground 'yon kung gusto mong mag-pursue ng career sa journalism. Campus journalist ka muna ngayong student ka, then real journalist ka na after graduation."

"I want to, but they only write about our school's events and achievements," she explained with a frown. "I don't think na mago-grow ako kung puro gano'n ang isusulat ko. I want to write about things that matter—"

"Like corruption in student clubs?" I finished her sentence.

She nodded slowly. "Mas may bigat at may sense 'yon kaysa i-report kung sinong candidate ang nanalo sa Mr. And Ms. UN. Tell me I'm right?"

"You are," I agreed. My voice then became serious. "But you're aware that in your pursuit of the truth, you might make enemies along the way, right?"

"Yeah, I understand the risks." Her eyes looked down. "But I did it anyway because it's the right thing to do. Kung may mali, dapat ipaalam at itama. If you were in my position, wouldn't you have done the same?"

"I would," I answered with a firm nod. "The reason why this world's messy is because most people choose to turn a blind eye to something bad or horrible even if it's already staring at them right in the face. Kaya nga gusto kong mag-take up ng law, para ma-defend ko ang mga inaalipusta, mabigyan ng justice ang mga kinakawawa at ma-expose ang mga kamalian sa society na ginagalawan natin."