042

Remus' stomach was doing backflips

Remus' stomach was doing backflips. And it was full of butterflies. And he felt slightly sick to his stomach.

After a few days of exchanging letters with Ana, he had agreed to their usual late-night meeting in the library. He really, truly hoped that she would not bring up anything about his freak-out. He didn't know if he had it in himself to show any more vulnerability. The other day had been too much all at once.

He was always the first one to show up in the library. But that was expected. Ana had to dodge all of her nosy housemates to even step foot outside her Common Room.

It was only when ten, fifteen, and then twenty minutes passed that he began to worry. Maybe she was forming some elaborate plan to publicly humiliate him in front of the whole of Hogwarts. Or maybe she had found a better company, someone who wasn't crazy and cried their eyes out in front of her. Or maybe she was actually in love with that Nott kid. Why were they so close anyways?

Or maybe she was just uncharacteristically late. Remus needed to stop overthinking. It wasn't good for his skin. He currently had a rash on his neck.

He sat there for a few minutes more, picking at the dead skin on his fingernails. He was in such a panic that he forgot to bring a book with him as he usually did. It somehow didn't occur to him that he was surrounded by thousands of books.

Ana rounded the corner with quick, pattering feet. She looked flushed yet almost proud.

"Hello there."

What the hell had just left his mouth? If he were in Ana's place, he would have turned on his heel and left without a word.

But Ana was less judgmental than Remus, and only responded with a barking laugh that reminded him of Sirius. She sat on the opposite side of the couch, as she usually did, dropping her small satchel to the floor. Her hair was pulled back with a clip so that he could see her eyes.

"Sorry, I'm late. I had some business to take care of first." Her shoulders hit the back of the couch with a sigh.

"Business?"

"I would tell you, but I've been sworn to secrecy."

"An unbreakable? I didn't realize you had it in you."

"As good as one, maybe. Let's just say that it's looking to be in my favor," she said with a smile.

"Alright then."

They were silent for a few moments. Remus kept switching his glance between Ana and the red and brown Persian rug that adorned the floor, while she studied him directly. She scowled playfully, slapping the cushion beside her with her palm.

"Oh fine, I'll tell you what I can! But if you tell a single soul I may just lock you in a broom closet with Peeves."

"I didn't even say anything! Don't tell me if you don't want to."