Chapter 2

Vanessa Lewis was discharged from the hospital 3 days later. She had been left some clothing, nothing fancy, only a simple t-shirt and pants, but she was thankful for something other than a gown to wear. An unmarked black Cadillac was waiting outside, evidently for her. All she had was the clothes she was wearing and a small bag with her new identity in it. The driver and her never spoke throughout the journey, until the end as the car pulled to a stop. The driver passed her a yellow envelope with the number 14 on it, and said, "This is it Miss Lewis, 14 Henry Court. She'll contact you soon." She said a quiet, "Thank you." And exited the car.
Vesper made her way up to her flat, it was a modest one bedroom, with a bathroom, a kitchen, and an attached sitting room. She took a look around the flat, it had modern appliances, the phone and TV were set up, the fridge and cupboards were stocked with food, and every room was painted white. Once she was satisfied by her little tour, Vesper flipped the TV on to the news station, and sat down on the sofa.
Several hours later, she awoke from a dreamless slumber to a darkened room and the phone ringing. She stood up slowly from the sofa, and walked over to the phone. She said a rather hoarse greeting, voice dry from her nap.
M's stern voice greeted her in turn, causing Vesper a slight jolt of shock.
"I trust that you're settling in well?" M said, more of a statement than a question.
"Yes, quite well." Vesper said, clearing her throat.
"Good. Now, I don't know if you've gone through the envelope I left with you, but there is a bank card for you in there. The PIN is written on a sticky note on the back of it. A stipend for you will be deposited on the first of every month.
In a couple weeks, a psychologist is going to come speak with you. He's quite good and familiar with past traumas. It would be best if you spoke honestly with him, Miss Lynd." M said.
The use of Vesper's true name gave her pause, and a pang of longing for her old life. Taking a deep breath, she said, "Yes, thank you."

"No need to thank me. If you need to contact me, the call the telephone number on the white card in the envelope. Leave a message, and I'll contact you by the end of the day. Goodbye, Miss Lynd. I'll be in touch." M stated, hanging up the phone. Vesper returned the phone to it's cradle, staring at it for a moment, before shutting off the TV, and retreated into the quiet darkness of her bedroom.