Chapter Forty-Two

Start from the beginning

She yawned and nodded, rubbing one eye. "It was a nice dream."

Moving around the sofa, he followed her out of the family room and into the kitchen. "It was a wonderful night, love. But what are you doing down here?"

She padded over to the Keurig and hit the power button. "I don't know. I just woke up."

The slight hesitation made him frown as he leaned against the counter and folded his arms over his chest. "McKenna?"

The coffee drawer rolled open smoothly and she plucked a cinnamon coffee cup from the row before sighing. "Okay, I had a nightmare."

He watched her slip the cup into the machine, take down a coffee mug to position under the spout and when she didn't elaborate, he asked, "About?"

She gave him a long look and he bit back a sigh. Why did he ask? He already knew. "Did Selig have a nightmare as well?"

Another yawn and as her cup filled, she shook her head. "No. I had to check on them and when I looked in on him, he was half out of the covers, so I tucked him back in. I woke him in the process."

As she turned away from him to take her cup off the machine, he stepped up to her and eased his arms about her waist. She relaxed against him, her head coming back to rest against his chest, and her eyes closed as she murmured, "He scared the hell out of me. I didn't know he'd gotten up and I was in here, making some hot cocoa when I heard someone moving around."

He kissed the top of her head. "And?"

"I got my icer and almost zapped him. He'd come downstairs without my knowing it."

Gently squeezing her, he murmured, "But you didn't."

"Loki, what if I'd had my gun?"

"That's why it's kept locked away."

"I know, but—" Her eyes closed and she shook her head. "Still..."

"No, love, don't do that." He tightened his arms about her and kissed the top of her head. "He's fine. You're fine."

McKenna set the cup on the counter and turned in his arms and as she gazed up at him, with those beautiful green eyes, he felt himself falling in love with her all over again. Without thinking, he caught her face in his hands, tilted her head back, and bent to cover her lips with his.

He meant it to be only a light, gentle kiss, but her arms slid about his waist, her lips parted and he groaned softly as her tongue met his. She pressed into him, her hands flat against his back, tugging him closer still, and when she slowly broke the kiss, he found his breath very hard to catch.

"How do you do that?" he whispered, sweeping his lips across her left temple.

She tucked her head against his chest. "Do what?"

"Make me want you with something as simple as a kiss."

She didn't look up, but he heard the smile in her voice as she replied, "Because I'm good, love. I'm that good."

He chuckled, kissing the top of her head once more. "Aren't you supposed to say something like, 'because you make me want you just as much' or something like that?"

"Well, you do... but since there are four sleeping children who will be awake at any moment..."

"Little troublemakers."

It was her turn to laugh and this time, she did lift her head. "Another week or two and then we can take them back to Asgard and get away, just the two of us."

"You have no idea how much I look forward to that," he told her.

"You and me both."

"Can I have breakfast?"