CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Start from the beginning

Instantly guarded, I wore a mask of perfect impassiveness. "Why?"

"He texted out of the blue to let me know he would be in London tomorrow. I guess he will swing by the parlour." Jace paused to allow room for an interruption. "It's only a heads-up. Knowing Tommy, he'll want to see you."

In Tommy's defence, I pestered him with text messages until he agreed to take me to Quintin. "Thank you for the advisory warning, but it's nothing to worry about. I asked Tommy to come to London. He is doing me a favour."

"Right..." He observed with genuine puzzlement. "Okay, why? You haven't been on speaking terms for years. I don't mean to come across as insensitive, but Carter is not..." Here, he stopped himself from saying. "After everything that's happened, I would hate for this to blow up in your face."

My arms crossed. "Since when do you care about my well-being? I never mattered before."

"Since I grew up and learnt the truth about that night." He sipped coffee with an apologetic gleam in his eyes. "Look, Tommy is a good guy. I love him like a brother. But with you back in his life, I worry. He's like a dog with a bone when he wants something."

He is in the wrong lane. "Jace—"

"You will never be accepted by them." He meant the traveller community. "Put one foot on the site, and you will not come back out."

My mouth opened to respond.

"Not to mention that you have Jones in the background." Jace's tone was vehement as he bridged the gap between us. "Brad will not think twice about bumping Tommy off. He won't let any man step on his toes. Do you understand how damaging this can be?"

"Jace," I said with a slight huff. "It's not what you—"

"This whole situation is a recipe for disaster. Someone is going to get hurt." His tongue piercing dragged across the bottom of his front teeth. "Just leave the past where it belongs."

"You are way off base. Tommy is not looking to rekindle old flames and vice versa," I put his mind at ease. "I asked him to accompany me to the prison to visit Quintin. That is why he is due in London."

"What?" Jace's eyes grew wide. "Are you out of your goddamn mind? You don't provoke a fucking psychopath!"

"What choice do I have?" Unfazed by the man's rant, I stood my ground. "Quintin might know something about Carter. I will do whatever it takes to find my son."

"Have you forgotten?" He took pity on me. "Quintin hates you. You are his arch-enemy. He will never forgive you for Killian's death. If you rock up to the prison and beg him for help, he will laugh in your fucking face."

"Tommy will be with me." My back rested against the car door. "Surely, if Quintin does know something, he will speak openly to his son."

"Quintin is not an altruist. He would rather cut off his nose to spite his face." He re-capped the takeaway coffee cup. "Tommy's attendance will carry no weight. If anything, it will make Quintin angrier. A son's betrayal is not easy for any father to swallow."

"You did the unthinkable to find your daughter," I said with care, and his eyes briefly flickered toward the sky. "Tell me, I am wrong."

Jace squeezed the nape of his neck. "We never stood a chance, Summer and I. I know that now." A look of mournful regret crossed his features. "You can agree to another's terms and conditions and play by the rules, but in the end, servile obedience will be your only accomplishment. Tragedy ends unhappily, Em." His sigh was heavy. "You know I am right."

My heart was not ready to let go. "What if it's different this time?" I toyed with the chain around my neck, not expecting him to answer. "What if there is hope for us?"