14

{sunday, February 19}

Something was missing when Regulus woke up, but he couldn't quite place what it was. It took some yawning and getting used to the light to realize he was missing the warmth of another body. He didn't remember much about the night before except the unholy amount of fries he had eaten, throwing up and kissing James Potter. Hold up, kissing James motherfucking Potter? Regulus sat up in an instant and immediately the headache kicked in. Bad, bad, bad. This was bad. Was it? They had been drunk, didn't really count. Fuck. James had been sober, he had driven the car. What else had Regulus done? But no matter how hard he thought about it, his mind blanked after the kiss. He vaguely remembered getting in the car, but that's it. It was a very frustrating feeling, not knowing what had happened. All he knew is the memory on his body from another body against his, a body that belonged to James Potter. Where had he gone? When had he left? Had he slept there? Regulus looked to the side to ask Remus, but Remus wasn't there. He let out a frustrated groan and let his head fall back onto his pillow. He was never drinking again. He did manage to drag himself out of bed eventually though, and after downing a pair of painkillers and a glass of water, he went down to the great hall for breakfast. None of his friends were there, which didn't surprise him. James and his lot were probably at the rink, Remus was probably at the library and god knows where Evan and Barty might be. It was late in the morning, bordering midday and there was almost no food left. The cafeteria ladies had started cleaning, emptying out the big metal boxes in which they kept food warm, preparing them for dinner, so Regulus grabbed himself an apple and a bottle of juice. A nice balance with the greasy fries from the night before. He sat down in a far corner of the big space, as far away from everyone as possible and blessed the lord for the painkillers that slowly started doing their job. His moment of quiet and peace was short lived though. No more than two minutes later, Lily Evans slid down on the bench across him. Her red hair was pulled back into a tight bun at the back of her head and her freckles became more noticeable every day, now that the sun was starting to shine more and more. She looked effortlessly pretty as ever and Regulus felt a kind of envy for her. He couldn't describe it, really, but there was just something about her.

"Hello" Regulus grumbled. His hang over was killing him and spending the morning with Lily was the last thing he could have imagined. What was she even doing here? His question was answered within seconds.

"I heard something" she said. Regulus looked up at her and frowned.

"Okay?" he said. He had a feeling where this was going, he just hoped he was wrong.

"You snogged James last night" Lily said. There it was. Regulus did his best not to roll his eyes.

"And? He's not your boyfriend anymore" Regulus said. Lily turned red.

"I know. But I do care about him" she shot back.

"I was drunk" Regulus sighed.

"So? Do you mean you didn't want to? Because if that's the case, fuck you" said Lily.

"Why do you care, Lily? This is not my problem. I was drunk, I wasn't thinking, and even if I did want to, I wouldn't tell you" Regulus snapped. Lily raised her hands in the air.

"God, calm down" she murmured.

"I'm fucking hungover and this little conversation is not really helping, Evans" Regulus sighed, taking a sip of his juice.

"Please just, don't hurt him, alright? It is obvious he likes you, like, a lot and I don't want to see him heartbroken again" Lily said. Regulus almost choked on his sip. The idea of James liking him seemed so surrealistic and deranged, he must have misheard Lily.

"He does what now?" Regulus asked unsure. Lily rolled her eyes at him.

"I fucking hate gay people" she murmured, "He likes you. He really does, so don't go and fuck this up, Regulus."