7

Remus nervously jumped from one foot to the other. He dug his hands a little further into his pockets and shrunk a little deeper into his jacket. It was very cold outside and Sirius was late. Was he bailing on him? Remus had thought out a perfect date plan, take him to the bookshop, grab a coffee, talk a bit, but didn't Sirius want that? Maybe it all sounded too boring for them and didn't they want to-

"I'm so sorry I'm late" Sirius ran up to him, out of breath. Remus blinked a few times, he hadn't thought Sirius would still be showing up, but here he was, looking gorgeous as ever. Their hair was in a low bun and their leather jacket looked so hot.

"I-It's alright" Remus mumbled, trying to stop the blood from streaming to his face.

"I lost track of time and I- god, you didn't think I stood you up? Did you?" Sirius asked wide eyed. Remus laughed nervously.

"Maybe for a second" he admitted.

"Oh lord, I would never do that" Sirius exclaimed. Remus dug the point of his shoe into the dirt on the ground and shrugged.

"I didn't know that" he said. Sirius loudly exhaled.

"I should have texted you" they nodded. Remus also nodded.

"Well? Let's go, shall we?" Sirius asked and they started walking. There wasn't much to do in the little town around campus, so they took the bus to the nearest city of which Remus knew to have a huge bookstore.

"Do you want to hear something stupid?" Sirius asked, "I've never been here." They got out of the bus and Remus looked around. He had been once before, with a girl who asked him out at the beginning of the year. They didn't work out, obviously, but Remus got a free book out of it, so he wasn't complaining.

"That's alright, I know the way I think" Remus said with a gentle smile. They walked in silence, not really knowing what to say or ask and Remus felt like he was right back in high school. All the awkward dates Regulus and Evan made him go on. Except this time, he actually likes the person he is on a date with. He asked him out himself, no pushing from anyone else. So why didn't he know what to say? Maybe it were the nerves, that could very well be, because on the inside Remus felt like dying. He was so scared to screw up, to not be interesting enough for Sirius. As if Sirius could read his mind, they slipped their hand into his and their fingers automatically intertwined, as if they had been doing this forever. Sirius smiled at him and Remus couldn't help but smile back. For a moment the world seemed to exist of nothing but just the two of them and Remus felt stupid for being so down bad for someone he barely knew. Still, he held onto Sirius hand and led him in the right direction, the bookstore slowly popping up into view. It was a huge, old building and looked just like it did when Remus had been half a year before. Remus suddenly stopped in his track.

"Do you even read?" he asked wide eyed. He hadn't thought about if Sirius even liked books, maybe he thought all of this was lame and boring.

"Are you implying I can't read?" Sirius joked. He didn't know it was possible, but Remus' eyed widened even further.

"I'm just kidding" he said, laughing. Remus exhaled, feeling stupid for making such a comment. Sirius didn't seem to mind, though, and they happily chatted on about why he didn't read as often as he would want to. Remus listened to him ramble, entranced by the sound of their voice and the liveliness in their sound. Remus hated to admit that they had not had that many conversations yet and he was learning so much about Sirius by listening him going from talking about books to the way he and James used to have a pet goldfish at their dorm in high school to how that led to their nicknames, padfoot, prongs and wormtail, wormtail being Peter Pettigrew, another one of their high school friends. Remus had met Peter like once, but he could form a perfect picture of him in his head when Sirius told him about how he used to have a rat tail in his hair, like Anakin from Star Wars. Sirius paused in their story, leaving room for Remus to disrupt him if he was talking to much, but Remus had nothing to say. He was more than content with just listening to Sirius ramble on. They approached the bookstore and Remus held open the door for Sirius. They were greeted by a comfortable warmth washing over them, their frozen fingers slowly defrosting. The smell of books and coffee reached Remus and he instantly felt at home. The place was dimly lit, just cozy enough not to feel overwhelmingly big. Sirius instantly made their way to the classics and Remus followed him on the heels. He had read most of the selection the store offered, both for school and for fun. Sirius held up one of the books.