Getting into the ropes of things

As true as it may be, I've actually gotten more used to seeing how things work behind the scenes. When you bodyguard the don's son, you learn nifty tricks and catch onto who's actually nefarious, or just fooling around like a dumbass.

One of the things we do is trade and deal. And sometimes we play cards for money, but most of the time it's keeping people in check. I also found out that they pay off the police and many others, and I can get information out of the right people.

----

"So, princess, how's the product? You need to send out more undercover men to sell it, seriously. I ain't got the fucking money to buy beer or any more supplies. You know this, so what's the hold up?" Fuyuhiko complained, slamming down a document.

The blonde woman in question nodded, steam coming out of her nose. "I apologize! I have been busy with my fiancé! Haven't you heard? Your invited!"

She met my eyes, and stars suddenly came into her eyes when she waved at me. "I remember you from high school..."

Wait, she's THAT exchange student? I hardly remember her, but Souda's obsession with her certainly locked into my mind. Seriously, he considered moving to the Novoselic kingdom and plead to marry her. Now, she stood next to us calmly talking about drug sales.

"Drugs... as in medicine?"

They both burst out laughing, as Peko looked away awkwardly next to me. I forgot she was also a guard...

"Drugs as in cocaine, all sorts. We're running the underground drug system in the Novoselic kingdom for half profits. It's business."

Hey, least she talked. She pushed the brim of her glasses and stepped back, letting Sonia huff and puff.

"Yes! Fuyuhiko, I apologize! I'll get back onto the work more when I can! My mother has been working on it!"

"Well tell that lazy bitch to pick it up, or else no money for either of our damn selves. I'll think about the wedding. "

Fuyuhiko really was professional. He had to go into detail explaining his connections, who his mafia was with, who they weren't with. He had a long standing hatred with the Komaeda family, since the right hand man always picked on him with small, gritty comments.

His father would agree and laugh, only frustrating him further. The main boss had been absent for days, being in jail. So he took over, and only made things worse when they needed to talk trade or negotiations.

In his mind, they were hanging by a thread from shooting eachother. I suppose that's what the tension was before, and I could feel my stomach sink at all the info. Occasionally, Peko would leave to take personal hits from his dad, which left perfect time for me to be his 24/7 guard.

"Are you attending the wedding?" I asked, changing the subject. It started to make me feel weak, but I knew I had to accept the violence eventually. Long as I treaded carefully and picked my words right, nobody would mess with me. Or at least, be foolish enough to get their ass beat.

"Tch. No. Why should I care about some dumb blonde bitch and that animal breedin' son of a bitch? If anything, me attending is for the sake of keeping the image of friendship."

Peko looked off, biting her lip. I decided to ask, poking her shoulder. She frowned, turning to me. Her red eyes widened, facing me.

"Do you wanna go?"

She quietly nodded, "there's going to be animals there..."

I smirked, shaking my head. "I remember Gundham, always messing with animals. Let's go together then, since Fuyuhiko is too good for it."

For a second, blush flashed onto her face when Fuyuhiko grabbed her arm, tugging it. "Well shit, if both my bodyguards abandon me GUESS I have to go!"

A laugh was shared in the car as the driver hummed patiently, parking us off to the next meeting and mission. The whole day was full of work, and I crashed in bed next to Fuyuhiko, who was snoring.

I went out like a light, snuggling into my sheets. I felt something nudge me again, so I looked around.

Turns out, I wasn't where I was supposed to be. It was the same woods as before, a deep airy gust of wind blowing leaves everywhere. Clouds dusted the area as an eerie sense of darkness filled my mind. I walked over to see an axe, a shovel, and my shirt all dug to the side.

Then Nagito, he was kneeled over. I couldn't see his expression, but I could hear his wanton shoking sobs as his core shook, pointing out towards the hole.

I cringed, looming my eyes over to see the dismembered body. My mind personally blocked it out, full of pixels and blurs as my eyes knew full well every detail. Then everything faded.

When I woke up, I didn't speak a word. I was out of it. When anybody asked me, I just smiled and said I was tired.

Was I really okay?

Was he okay?

I couldn't stop my mind from thinking about him. I mean, it was his father. When I told Fuyuhiko about the dream, he dryly chuckled.

A hint of malice met his lips as he looked to the side. "Yeah, those dreams happen. I dreamed about my first kill for months. You just gotta deal with that shit, yknow, push on. You're gonna be seeing a lot more dead bodies then that."

He was right. During a few parties, women would sing as men would get shot down, and I'd see blood pour across wooden floors. I got into a few fights too, thankfully with just citizens who had nothing better to do. I got used to blood on my hands, and I'd stare and stare at them.

With time, I eventually stopped dreaming about the bodies. But more about Nagito. We'd sit down, talk. Or even fuck. Then I'd...wake up and run to the bathroom to, take care of myself.

Yesterday, when I saw somebody get stabbed in the eye, thrown to the ground by Peko, I heard men laugh and taunt him. I stared and stared, but I didn't vomit. The disgusted feelings in my chest never left, but Peko said it was normal.

The wedding was beautiful, too. Sonia was dressed up, her hair up into bounds of braids and pearls. Gundham's hair was down, styled to the side. I was catching up with them at the wedding reception, enjoying my time.

Kazuichi held a sobbing call with me as he was clearly drunk, whining about the situation. That brought my mood down a bit, sighing into the joyous air of love and lust... something I didn't have.

I felt sick from drinking as people danced around me, guards not speaking a word as Sonia cried to her parents happily. I was greatful for them. I checked across the room, and spotted him.

His hair was also down, parted to the side as he shared a glass with a girl, she nervously drank her drink, fumbling it in her hands. Nagito noticed me staring, and looked over.

I coughed, turning away. I was alone, so it let me have an excuse to walk outside. By then, nighttime had dawned and there was just the young adults, and the occasional kid running around. I sipped my wine glass, letting it hang from my fingers over the railing. It was a cold, freezing night.

It's something I hated, I was always more of a summer person. I let the cup fall and crash into the pavement, breaking into millions of miniscule prices of glass, the deep red wine reminding me of blood.
Did it really matter if the glass shattered if I knew it would?

I felt a presence behind me, and lo and behold, Nagito.