𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Start from the beginning

"No," she breathed out in realization. The boat that they discovered and looted from just a few hours earlier belonged to a man that showed up dead. That could not be a good sign.

He nodded, confirming her thoughts. "Yep, a Grady-White."

"No fucking way," she exclaimed, but when a couple people looked over at them, she lowered her voice a little before repeating, "No fucking way."

"Yes fucking way," he told her. He did not seem nearly as affected by the events that happened that day as Bree was. He was just partying without a care in the world as if they — he — hadn't stolen a crap ton of cash and a gun from a dead man's hotel room.

She ran a hand through her hair and inhaled deeply. "Oh, my God."

"Yeah," he sighed, downing what was left in his cup. There was moment of silence while she was thinking before he broke it. "Uh, we're going back out to the boat tomorrow to check it out again if you, uh, if you wanna come."

"Wow, JJ Maybank inviting a Kook to hang out?" Bree mused with raised eyebrows and a surprised smile.

"Yeah," he nodded, as if realizing what he just said. He began fanning himself dramatically. "I think I might be coming down with something."

She laughed out, "Oh really?"

"I'm feeling kinda faint. I think — I think I'm gonna..." He held a hand to his head like he was feeling for a temperature before completely collapsing onto her lap.

"You're an idiot." She rolled her eyes at him as he grinned up at her, his head on her thighs. She then pushed him by his shoulder so that he rolled off the log and onto the ground. "And very drunk."

He didn't seem very bothered about the fact that he was lying on the cold sand because he just smirked. "So, we'll pick you up around 4:00 tomorrow with the boat."

"Sounds good," she replied with a nod.

"Where's your boyfriend tonight?"

"With his dad," she responded, taking another sip of her drink.

"Can I ask you a question?" he quizzed, and when she just raised her eyebrows at him, he continued, "Are you aware that he is a complete and utter dick?"

She scoffed, staring down at him in playful disbelief, and smiled. "Oh, and you're not?"

"Well, you see, I know I'm a dick. He thinks he's some angel, which, if anything, makes him an even bigger dick," JJ explained before climbing to his feet.

She asked, "Where are you going?"

"I'm getting another drink," he informed her, and she shook her head knowing that he was definitely drunk enough already. "Want me to get you one?"

"Nah, I'm okay. I'm still working on this one," she told him.

"Suit yourself."

Then, he was gone, and she couldn't help but feel a sense of loneliness at his absence. She wasn't alone for long, however, because Sarah's voice yelled over the talking, "Bree, we're headed out. You want a ride home?"

"Yeah, sure," she called back, standing up and brushing the bark off of her shorts.

"Hey, hey. Hey, Sarah!" Bree's head shot up when she heard JJ's voice say her friend's name. Her and Topper were walking past him and John B, and he was holding a drink out to her. "Sarah, can I interest you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?"

The Callaway made her way over to them as Sarah shook her head, looking down at the cup. "No, thanks."

"Is it not fancy enough for you?" the blonde boy questioned, and Bree shot him a shocked glare. He couldn't see it because of the darkness, though.