八 ; white night

Start from the beginning

"What happened, then?"

"Right in the middle of our apologies, the RA and Yeji started laughing like maniacs," Karina recalled, "Aeri and I looked up, and they were laughing at the both of us." She clicked her tongue against her teeth, "That jerk Yeji pranked us. The RA wasn't an actual RA."

You busted out into laughter, "Are you serious?"

She brought herself to laugh, "Yes. I was so close to ending my friendship with Yeji. But she treated us to food the next week, so... It's kind've a stupid story, but I can still remember how it felt when it happened. It even sobered me up."

"No, I get it," You replied. You lean back in your chair as you stretch your arms out, "Especially knowing how seriously they take sneaking in so late, that must've been scary."

"Yeah, I think that's mainly why Aeri and I were freaking out," you nod. Realizing that she's finally finished the slide she's been working on since the start of this class period, she closes her laptop and puts it into her backpack.

"Are you finished for today?" You question. Karina looks over at you, and you are still typing away on the slide you were working on, "What time is it?"

Karina is still trying to get used to you and her getting along despite it being a good two weeks since you had started being civil with her. But at the same time, it felt like a weight was being taken off of her shoulders. It wasn't like you were a burden, she just never really had the motivation to go to class because of you.

But it was different now.

"There's still like fifteen minutes before class ends," she says, glancing at her phone, "Wanna start cleaning?"

You nod, "Let me just finish this slide, and I'll be right behind you."

- - -

"Hi, Mrs. Jang," You enter the class with a gentle smile, "How's your day?"

Mrs. Jang grins from her desk, "It was great, I guess. Yours?"

"Not bad."

Mrs. Jang nods in response, "I'm sorry, I should have put a notice on google classroom, but today's class has been moved last minute." She moves her rolling chair to the side so that she's able to give you her undivided attention.

You frown, "Why is that?" You aren't sure if you could ever think of a reason why a class could be canceled and moved, "Have you told Karina and the other students?"

"Forecast says there's going to be really heavy snow today, so I thought it would be better not to have you guys traveling in conditions that may become really dangerous extremely fast," Mrs. Jang states. At the end of her explanation, Karina enters the classroom along with other students with a quick greeting, standing next to you as the other students start to make their way to their seats.

"But isn't the snow for tonight? That seems to be enough time for us to have class and get back to the dorms."

"What's going on?" Karina asked obliviously.

You hummed, "Our class is canceled for today because of the snow."

"That's true, but it's better to be safe than sorry," Mrs. Jang sighed before she got up from her seat to tell the other students that class was canceled for the day, "Everyone can go and rest for a few days til the next time we meet for class!"

Without another word, Mrs. Jang swings herself back to her computer, and you and Karina, along with your classmates, leave the building slightly confused. The sky seemed perfectly normal on the way here. The air was still. There was no sign of snow happening tonight. But Mrs. Jang's statements were confirmed when Karina pulled out her cell phone and tapped the weather app.