Chapter 16: The Childhood Friend

Start from the beginning

"We'll be having lunch with Walt," he answered. "This was supposed to happen a few weeks ago, but he got so busy with his work . . . and what happened to her daughter. How was she, by the way?"

"The last time we communicated, she told me that she's been undergoing therapy session every week because of her trauma. I asked her how she's doing, but she's not replying to my messages lately," I answered. My eyes then squinted. "Kung ka-lunch n'yo si Tito Walter, kasama din ba niya si Lori?"

My dad's head shook slowly. "Walt doesn't think Lorelei's ready for whatever we're about to discuss. It's best if she would focus on her recovery and stay away from any additional pressure."

"Then why did I have to come with you? There's no reason why I should be in your lunch meeting. If it's about the incident, I've already told the authorities and Tito Walter must have access to them."

He looked at me over his shoulder. May kakaiba sa titig niya sa akin. "It's something that involves you directly so you need to be there. If that thing didn't happen to Lorelei and she's perfectly okay right now, she'd be in the meeting as well."

"Can't you tell me exactly what it is, Pa?"

He let out a sigh. "It's probably best if both parties are present. I don't want to surprise you, Al, but perhaps Walt can explain it better than me."

I sank back in my seat and stared at the window, watching the buildings blur past our car. Mukhang hindi catching up ang purpose ng lunch meeting na dadaluhan namin. It must be something very important that would greatly affect me and Lorelei. P-in-oint out ni Dad na dapat ay kasama rin ang kababata ko kung maayos ang kondisyon niya. Kung anuman ang pag-uusapan doon, malamang ay makaapekto 'yon sa current mental state ni Lorelei. What could it be?

Was it about the case? Pareho kaming involved ni Lorelei doon. But no, that was being resolved already. Actions were being taken, thanks to her father. There was nothing I could say or do that would help the investigation at this point.

Kung hindi iyon, ano pa ang posibleng pakay ng meeting na ito? Ano pa ang posibleng pag-usapan namin? Ang alam ko, basta may kinalaman ito sa akin at kay Lorelei . . .

No, it couldn't be. My eyes went wide as the car stopped at the intersection. Doon ko napagtanto ang isang bagay na pwede naming pag-usapan kung saan damay kami ng kababata ko. Ayaw kong i-entertain ang ideya, ngunit posibleng doon iikot ang discussion. There could be no other reason why.

If my hunch was right, Tito Walter made a good decision to not let Lorelei join us. Baka dumagdag pa iyon sa mga iisipin niya at lumala ang state ng mental health niya. She needed to free herself from all possible stressors.

I was hoping to be wrong. But the hints that my dad gave me pointed in the same direction.

The car pulled over in front of the restaurant. Both my dad and I got off at the same time. Sinalubong kami ng isa sa mga staff at tinanong kung may reservation kami. My dad just mentioned the name "Walter Rios" and we were ushered inside the resto.

A classical music welcomed my ears. The staff escorted us to the table where a gray-haired middle-aged man in formal attire was already seated. He stood as he saw us approaching him and offered his right hand to my dad.

"Walt!" My dad shook hands with him and greeted with a smile. "It's been a short while! I thought sa birthday mo na tayo magmi-meet ulit."

"That's still months away, but I'm hoping we can make an important announcement on that day," Tito Walter replied. Their hands let go of each other. "You'd be there, wouldn't you?"

My dad frowned. "Unfortunately, I have a business trip around that week. But I will be sure to send you my happy birthday greeting . . . and my congratulations."