Chapter 75. Always a Villain

Start from the beginning

Lucilline did not even need to be asked. He stripped his outer black coat, draped it across a chair, then plopped down onto a bottom bunk bed. His black hair blanketed across the bed sheets, as if a bottle of ink had spilled across a white canvas.

Augustine glanced at him, and off-handedly remarked, "Young Master, maybe you should wash up before—"

He faltered.

Lucilline had already fallen asleep.

"Forget it," Percival spoke softly. His eyes contained a gentle hue, the chestnut brown colour warm like seas of melted caramel. "The fatigue is catching up to all of us."

Everyone took a rest.

*****

In the next morning, the group made their way to the Capital City. They rode inside a horse carriage, the wooden wheels crinkling against the unsteady pebbles. The knights have peeled off their armour, tucking it away in their bags in order to avoid attention.

Sadly enough, they couldn't fit that many people in one carriage.

Thus, the group split up into separate carriages.

Azalea asked to sit with the Crown Prince, to which Dimitri gave a side glance in contemplation. At last, the latter agreed with a neutral expression.

Lucilline understood what the silver knight's intentions were. He shared a carriage with Willow, Farrah (who'd woken up and disguised herself again), and Augustine.

In a separate carriage, Azalea and Dimitri sat together. The silver knight was nervous, but the Crown Prince didn't let a single fleeting expression surface. "So? I assume that you wished to share a carriage with me due to something. Is there something you'd like to discuss with me?"

Dimitri reverted to his indifferent face, his hazel eyes cold and without a single drop of warmth.

Azalea coughed in his fist.

His face paled, and his throat clogged when trying to speak. I must tell him. "The truth is," the silver knight tried not to avert his eyes, with those amethyst purple hues more vibrant than his own locks of white hair. "I wish to quit the Royal Knights."

A heavy silence dropped in the thick atmosphere.

Dimitri frowned, "Give me a reason." It was a shame, especially since Azalea was an important and strong asset to the knights.

He didn't expect to hear the next sentence, "I was the traitor."

Dimitri's eyes thinned, and his white gloved hand inched closer to drawing the blade by his belt. The silver knight must have noticed his actions, because Azalea raised both his hands up in defeat. "I apologize that I turned against you, and all your trust." His voice was murmured out like a puny bird. "In order to atone for my sins, I have decided to quit. Is that alright?"

The tension in the air was thick enough to be cut by an axe.

The Crown Prince huffed, his hand never leaving the hilt of his blade.

His curly locks of golden hair was brushed gently by the wind, and Dimitri ascertained his subordinate. "First, you must explain to me in detail how you communicated with the demons." His hand tightened into a fist, with his white glove wrinkled from the force. "Second, you must explain yourself... as to why you turned traitor... and why you are now regretting your actions."