"Link!" His father called from inside the gates. Link perked up.

His father exhaled calmly when he saw him. "My boy," he said. "Come in."

When enlisting, you were meant to fill out an application at the front and see whether or not you were approved, but Link's father had expedited the process. He led Link through the barracks and to his bunk, where he would be staying for at least a couple of months.

Some soldiers were positioned outside of the castle. Link wouldn't mind being stationed in the Akkala Citadel--it was a beautiful structure, and when Link's father had taken him to see the Akkala Highlands, he had immediately deemed it as his new favorite place. The colors in the wilderness were stunning.

Some of the other enlisters were entering the large room. It was the first day; today they would be getting settled in and joining a gathering to meet the Captain of the Guard.

Link's father was called away to his work, leaving Link alone to put his things away. After his journey he was ready for a nap.

He was mid-yawn when a boy his age approached him. He had dark curly hair cut close to his head.

"Hey, my name's Taro. Look's like we're going to be bunk buddies." He thrust his hand out at Link.

Link took it and nodded. "Link."

Taro threw his bag up to the top bunk. "Where're you from? So far almost everybody I've met is from Castle Town."

"Hateno."

"Oh, really? My uncle lives there, you might know him." Taro grinned, exposing slightly crooked teeth that didn't look bad, but in fact charming.

Link shrugged. "I don't go into town much."

The large wooden doors leading to the older parts of the castle and the Guard"s Chambers opened slowly, dragging across the stone floor. A squad of seasoned guards marched through, led by the Captain of the Guard.

The orientation was to be held inside the training grounds. Boys Link's age and older followed the squad outside into the evening sun. Link ended up somewhere in the front of the crowd.

Boys shoved and hissed at each other to be quiet as the Captain of the Guard climbed up to a raised platform.

Link had heard his dad say the same things his entire life. He went on about honor and respect, and loyalty to the kingdom. He said if anyone wasn't sure they wanted to be there, to leave now, because they wouldn't last a minute.

Link had been ready for this his entire life, and in the last two years, he'd been more prepared for it than ever. The few things his father had taught him while he was home, Link practiced relentlessly. One day, it could be the slip of his sword that left him at Ganon's mercy. He couldn't allow it.

He gripped the sheath at his side as his father droned on.

"You are here to serve the kingdom, and more than anything, protect the royal family. By being here today you are agreeing to lay down your life for the King and Princess of Hyrule."

Murmurs spread through the crowd. People rarely saw either the King or his daughter. Princess Zelda was mostly a mystery to Hyrule. Everyone knew she had the typical long blonde hair of a descendant of Hylia and that her blood possessed the power to seal Calamity Ganon away, but she was never spotted in public. People seldom saw her around the castle, either. Rumor was that she was constantly training to awaken her power ever since someone pulled the sword from the stone.

Even for this, a pang went through Link. Was the princess miserable because of him, as well?

His father's words lost their sound as Link looked at the sun. It was bright, and harsh. It beat down on Link's skin, burning him slowly. It shone on him as if to say this, this is your fault.