Chapter 17

Saturday 10:00 p.m.

Warning: This chapter contains unwanted physical contact as well as blood and gore.

I sat stiffly beside Sy as the night breeze blew softly.. In the stillness, images of my father's plummet from the sky tried to burn their way into my brain. I wanted to shut down and think of nothing to avoid those awful mental pictures but no. I needed to think. To plan. A half measure was beginning to form in my mind, but it would cost me if I couldn't get my mother out of here.

"Don't react." said a voice inside my head.

"Ah!" I yelped, doing the exact thing Hector had told me not to do, but I couldn't help it. His voice surprised me.

"What's wrong?" Sy looked at me with a mix of concern and suspicion.

"Leg spasm." I lied, reaching down to rub behind the top of my braces, "I've done a lot of walking today."

"Oh my God!" Sy looked at me with pity, a look I hated, "Of course! I'm so stupid! your feet and legs must be exhausted! Do you want to take your braces off? Soak your feet? We can bring up one of your thralls from the hold, have them rub your legs."

I wrinkled my nose. "Um, no." I almost laughed at the absurdity, "Sy, I'm fine. Just tired is all. Think I could get a chair or something to put my feet up on?"

"Sure, Rain."

I now hated him using my nickname. I tuned him out as he called for one of the non-deaf goons to bring something to use as a foot stool. We were just sitting on the raised ledge that ran along the side of the ship. It wasn't the most comfortable, but I didn't want to go back inside with Sy. Being alone with him was just too creepy.

I risked a glance over at Hector and my mother. Neither one was looking at me. Neither one really could from this angle. I looked back at Sy, who was now in conversation with some other goon about something else. He kept his voice low so I couldn't hear.. Fine. Regardless of his planning, it would take a miracle to get us out of this—safely. I itched to get closer, to pick up on anything I could about any new plan he might be considering. My hate stirred like a fire rekindled. I wished my words were actual weapons so I could push them from my throat and have Sy choke on them.

"Raina, I heard you thinking about your plan." Hector was in my head again. I wasn't shocked this time but was mildly creeped he had been eve's dropping on my thoughts all this time. We'd have to have another talk about that, but in a way, it had been beneficial. I just didn't even know up from down right now. I'd think about it later.

"It won't work unless I can get my mom and you out of here. He'll realize he's been duped soon enough." I thought back.

"I've been talking with the dragon. Turns out, I can speak to dragons now if they open their minds to me. Anyway, his name is Harold. Harold will help us if you can get him free."

I tried to keep my face neutral and no doubt failed. How the heck was I supposed to free a dragon chained with umpteen chains hanging however many feet up in the air?

"Speak him free." Hector advised, "Speak to the chains like you did to the vault in the bunker."

"Hector, Sy's bound to notice if I start having a convo with chains." Lord, this was so weird.

"Obviously." Even Hector's thoughts were sarcastic, "You have to wait for the right time. After sun up when you do the thing with the Heart. Then, I'll make a distraction. That will be your cue."

"Yeah. Alright." I appreciated his confidence in me. God knows I was going to try something one way or another. Knowing I had help, made this a thousand times better.