Chapter 9

Saturday 12:15 p.m.

As it happened, I didn't have long to wait until the next bizarre aspect of the forced march presented itself. My father walked right up the back steps of the house and unlocked it like he owned it.

"Whose house is this?" My mother finally spoke after the long silence in the car and she sounded just as exasperated as I felt.

"Ours dear," my father replied as he proceeded inside.

"Ours!" My mother is practically shrieked, "It's not ours. If it were ours, I would have known about it. This is some other secret of yours. What else have you been hiding David? Is David even your real name?" There was silence before she demanded, "Answer me!" She bounded up the steps after him looking ready to pounce. I wanted to hang back because I had never seen my parents fight like that, but at the same time I wanted to know what was going on. I needed them to stop and talk to me.

"I still can't read your dad's mind." Hector had slipped close to me, "but I'm pretty sure your mom is considering filing for divorce."

My eyes widened at this, and I rushed inside after her. What did he tell her? How did we have a second old house? What was even happening? I heard Jess and Hector behind me as I slowly made my way up the stairs. I hated stairs. I always walked so slowly up or down them for fear of falling. Thankfully there were only four, and they were short. I heard mom and dad's raised voices come from inside but couldn't quite make out what they were saying.

Upon entry, I found myself inside an old kitchen. The place smelled slightly musty, like it hadn't been inhabited for a while and the appliances and floors looked like they were straight out of the 1940s. The stove wasn't rusted but showed its age. The linoleum peeled up in places. I couldn't tell if its diamond pattern started out vaguely green or if it was originally off-white and just aged that color. The whole room gave off a vibe like there could be roaches living in the tight spaces and I didn't want to linger. I followed my parents' voices to a small formal dining room that was furnished with a weathered but formerly lavish table and chairs. I entered just as my mother demanded, "So, did you hatch from an egg then? Is that what you're saying? You're a reptile?"

My father was beet red and he stammered a few times before replying, "Wh-what does hatching have anything to do with anything?"

"Because I married a DRAGON David! And you didn't think to tell me! Everything matters because everything was a LIE!"

"Not everything, Tina." My father tried to approach her, hand outstretched to brush away a wild lock of her thick wavy hair. Momma looked a lot like me, but my hair was darker like my father's, and hers was lighter brown. Her skin was more olive, showing her Italian heritage. I thought between the two of us, she was the looker.

"Don't touch me!" She spat the words at him and swatted his hand away. I'd never seen her like this, and it frightened me.

"Tina!" His voice sounded as shocked as I was. My mother looked practically feral.

"Momma!" I ran to her. To do what, I wasn't sure.

"Baby." She calmed a bit on seeing me, but her voice was still firm, "You stay out of this. It's between Daddy and me."

"One of you needs to tell me what's going on." I pleaded up at her. The waver I added to my voice must have done the trick because she hesitated then wrapped her arm around me possessively.

"Daddy," She looked at him with fire, "is a rotten liar," she accused.

"Now, hold on," he interjected, "That's not fair!"