Chapter 2 - Insecurities Cause Meltdowns

Out of breath and with tears in her eyes, Eren finally managed to get to her locker. Grabbing her stuff, Eren ran as fast as she could to the exit of her school. She only slowed down when she saw 3 familiar and unwelcome silhouettes blocking the exit.

Frightened, she tried to run, but she was frozen with fear. She wished she ran. A few moments after Eren saw them, they saw her.

"If it isn't our little 'friend' Eren." Sneered the first figure, stepping towards her.

"It's not nice to keep your acquaintances waiting!" Mockingly exclaimed the second.

"Guys, there's no need to frighten the poor thing," the third laughed cruelly. "Now, Eren," Eren shuddered at the way she said her name. "Where exactly have you been? Didn't you want to play with us today?"

Unable to do anything, she watched, petrified, as her tormentors approached. Annie was the leader of the group, the third figure, and with her came her two minions, two guys Eren didn't know.

When they reached the shivering girl, they raised their fists and readied their feet. Annie hit her first. Gasping out in pain, Eren waited, eyes closed, for the next strike. After a few moments of nothing, she raised her head and opened her eyes to see that the three had let down their fists and smiled sweetly in Eren's direction.

This confused Eren greatly. Then she realised that they were staring past Eren and looking at something behind her. "What a pleasant surprise! It's nice to see you, Levi!" Annie called out in a sickly sweet and false voice. Eren turned around at the name, spotting Levi casually walking in their direction. 'Is he... Is he going to hurt me too?' Eren thought, slightly upset at the thought.

"So, Annie, what exactly are you and Eren doing at school so late in the afternoon?" Levi's tone made his question sound like an accusation.

Annie's smile faltered a little, before she smiled wider than ever. "I was just saying to Eren that maybe we could go shopping some time! Don't you think she could look cute with some designer clothing and a complete makeover?" Eren cringed at the way Annie asked, making it sound like her whole face needed to be reconstructed.

"I think that Eren looks cute just the way she is," was Levi's reply, not giving any sign that it was a lie. Eren blushed and looked down. Annie was suddenly furious.

"Why would this lump of trash look 'cute' to you?! She's nothing, a nobody." Annie said harshly, making Eren's eyes water. "She's just a piece of shit compared to me!" Eren covered her ears and fell to the cold, concrete ground. Silently, she broke down, letting all her insecurities and built up depression flood out.

Levi instantly noticed Eren. "She is NOT a piece of shit! She is NOT trash! How DARE you say that about her! I saw you hit her!" Levi's calmness had disappeared and was replaced by absolute rage. He ran towards Annie and flung a punch at her face, his fist found its target. "Don't ever touch her again!"

Levi watched as Annie and her gang retreated, not brave enough to fight Levi.When they were out of sight, he bent down to comfort Eren. "It's okay, Eren. They're gone." Levi's soothing voice calmed Eren. Once he saw Eren had stopped crying, Levi picked up Eren, bridal style. "So... Do you want to go to the nurse's office, even though it's probably shut now, or my home where I can treat your injury?" He asked, gesturing to where Annie had hit her.

Eren couldn't think with Levi holding her, and mumbled, embarrassed "Your home."