"Oh, it's Y/n," Sophie said absentmindedly.

Three pairs of eyes turned to me.

"How do you know?" Dot asked.

"The School Master said so himself." Sophie continued filing her nails.

"So? That doesn't mean I am one," I said defensively. "Fate is what you make it."

"Not in fairy tales!" Hester exclaimed. "If you're the villain, you die."

"You don't think I know that!" I yelled. "I'm trying my best to focus on the riddle right now, and not think about my inevitable demise. That's the only way I'll live. So help us, goddamn it!"

Hester sighed. "His riddle may be a trap."

Sophie broke a nail. "But the School Master said we could go home! He's Good! You said it yourself!"

"And you're both in Evil," said Hester. "He's not on your side."

I looked at her. Anadil and Dot had the same grim expression.

"There has to be something we can do," Sophie said.

"Solve the riddle," I replied. "It's the only way we'll know what he's up to."

"What does a villain never have that a princess can't do without?" Hester mulled, itching her tattoo.

"Animals, maybe?" said Dot.

"Villains can have animal henchmen. Just takes deeper corruption," said Anadil. "What about honor?"

"Evil has its own version of honor, valor, and everything else Good thinks they invented," Hester said. "We just have better names for them."

"I have it!"

We turned to Sophie.

"A birthday party!" she said. "Who would want to go to a Villain Party?"

Anadil and Hester stared at her.

"It's because she doesn't eat," said Dot. "Brains need food."

"Then you must be the smartest girl alive!" Sophie roared.

Dot glared back at her. "Remember the cruelest villains die the cruelest deaths."

Sophie turned to Hester nervously. "Would Lady Lesso tell us the answer?"

"If she thinks it'll help Evil win."

"You'd have to be clever," said Anadil.

"And subtle," said Hester.

"Cleverness? Subtlety? That's what I do, darling," Sophie said, relieved. "This riddle is good as solved."

"Or not, given we're fifteen minutes late," I said.

Indeed, the only thing chillier than Lady Lesso's frozen classroom was the looks she gave us as we slipped through the door to our seats.

"I would send you for punishment, but they're occupied with students from my last class."

Boys' screams echoed from beneath our feet. The whole class trembled at the thought of what was happening in the Doom Room.

"Let's see if our latecomers can redeem themselves," said Lady Lesso, heels clacking ominously.

"What are we doing?" I whispered to Hort.

"She's testing us on famous Nemeses," Hort whispered.

"Hester, can you name a villain who destroyed her Nemesis with a Nightmare Curse?"

"Finola the Fairy Eater. Finola the Witch haunted the fairies' dreams and convinced them to cut off their own wings. With the fairies no longer able to fly, Finola caught and ate them one by one."

I frowned. I had never heard of Finola the Fairy Eater, so Hester had surely gotten it wrong.

"Correct! Finola the Fairy Eater! One of the most famous stories of all!" Lady Lesso said, and stuck a giant wart on Hester's hand.

Famous? I cocked my head. Famous where?

"Anadil, name a villain who killed their Nemesis using disguise!" Lady Lesso said.

"Rabid Bear Rex. Dressed himself in a bear skin because Princess Anatole loved bears. When she tried to pet him, he cut her throat."

"A great role model for us all, Rabid Bear Rex!" said Lady Lesso, and planted a wart on Anadil's neck. "If he was alive, he'd wipe that grin off every one of Clarissa's gloating cockerels!"

I bit my lip. Were they making this all up?

"Dot. Name a villain who murdered their Nemesis with transformation!"

"The Frost Queen! Turned the princess into ice and put her in the morning sun!"

"My favorite tale of all!" Lady Lesso thundered. "A story that will live forever in the hearts of—"

Sophie snorted.

"Is something funny?" said Lady Lesso.

"Never heard of any of these," Sophie said.

Hester and Anadil sank in their seats.

"Never heard of them?" Lady Lesso sneered. "These are Evil's greatest triumphs! The glory that inspires future villains! Four Girls in a Well! Twelve Drowned Princesses! Ursula the Usurper, The Witch of—"

"Never heard of those either," Sophie sighed, combing back her hair. "Where I come from, no one would read a story where Evil wins. Everyone wants Good to win because Good has better looks, nicer clothes, and more friends."

Lady Lesso was speechless.

Sophie turned to her classmates. "I'm sorry that no one likes you and you never win and that you have to go to school for no reason, but it's the truth."

I pulled my robes over my face.

Dot leaned forward and whispered into Sophie's ear. "The riddle, love."

"Oh, yes," said Sophie, all business. "While I have the floor, here's a bit of a brainteaser. It's quite important that I solve it, so any help would be deeply appreciated. What does a villain never have that a princess can't do without? Any ideas? Feel free to shout them out. Merci, darlings."

"I have an idea," said Lady Lesso.

"I knew you would." Sophie smiled. "What is it? What do I have that you don't?"

Lady Lesso thrust her face in hers. "Nothing. Which is what we'll be hearing from you the rest of class."

Sophie tried to speak, but couldn't. I realized that Lady Lesso had sealed her lips shut.

"Much better," Lady Lesso said. "Now, Y/n, tell me which villain used blood magic as an advantage over his Nemesis."

I shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry, I don't know. Like Sophie said, where we come from, only tales about heroes winning are spread."

Lady Lesso scowled. "Brush up on your history, then, if you wish to pass my class. The correct answer is Peter Pan."

I blinked. "What?"

"Peter Pan, girl," Lady Lesso said sharply. "Do you have ears?"

"No, I heard what you said, it's just. . .Peter Pan wasn't a villain."

The whole class laughed at that. Even Lady Lesso let out a chuckle.

"Not a villain? Not a villain? He trapped the Lost Boys on Neverland and used their blood as a means to stay young forever! He vanquished Captain Hook by plunging his own hook into his chest and throwing him to the crocodile! Of course he was a villain!"

"I don't underst—"

"Do I need to seal your lips as well, or will you be silent?"

I pressed my lips together.