Chapter Twenty-Five: Are You Sacred of Dinosaurs?

Start from the beginning

"Remind me what Jim looked like again?"

I pull him toward me and we kiss, our tongues and hands exploring a little. I could get lost in this, but we should get up and face the day. I certainly don't want to meet Tyler again looking like I've been in bed with Ben all day. And how cute is that, all this time he spends with his nephew? His whole family really—

I pull away. "Oh, wait, you don't need to visit your mom?"

He frowns and takes a moment to respond. "No, she's getting this experimental treatment that makes her vulnerable to infections, so no visits for a week."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay. This might sound terrible, but I could use the break."

"I understand."

"I still talk to her every day."

"I'm not judging."

He smiles. "I'm kind of judging myself."

"Why?"

"Because I think there's going to be some relief when it's over."

My throat feels tight. "I think that's normal."

"It's horrible."

I bring his chin up like he did to me earlier. "No, Ben. Things like this take a lot of you. A lot out of a family." I swallow. "When my sister died ... It was like someone took a bite out of us, one that wouldn't heal. And then, my parents sort of made this collective decision that we were going to 'move on', and I hated them for it, but if I'm being honest, part of me was relieved too. Because living in that grief, missing Sarah all the time ... It was too much."

He kisses the tip of my nose. "How do you do that?"

"What?"

"Make me feel better about the parts of me I'm ashamed of."

"Oh. I do?"

"Yeah. I meant what I said yesterday."

"Which part."

"The all-in part."

I start to giggle. "Are you a Gilmore Girls fan?"

"No, why?"

"Well, first of all, it's an amazing show. But second, that's what Luke says to Lorelei when they finally get together."

"Am I supposed to know who those people are?"

I pull away. "Um, yeah."

It's his turn to laugh. "Glad to see your naivete is still in place."

"You know who Luke and Lorelei are?"

"Doesn't everyone?"

"You've watched Gilmore Girls?"

"I have a sister, don't I?"

I shake my head in disgust. "I can't believe I fell for that."

"Never change, Chloe Baker."

"Um, thanks, I guess?"

"It was a compliment, I swear." He leans his forehead against mine. "One more thing."

"Sure."

"I want to introduce you to my mom, but I have to find the right time."

"It's okay."

"No, I want to do it. It's just she—"

"Thinks you're still dating Rachel."

"Yes. But I'm going to tell her that we've broken up as soon as her treatment is done and I can see her again. I promise."

"You don't have to do that for me."