Wild Monkey Boy

Neteyam anxiously brushed the ends of Viryn's hair. "Well, there isn't much brain activity." Norm said as he looked at the screen. The 3D image of Viryn's brain on the display with colours on each of the segments. It had been a few days since Viryn had received treatment from Ronal and there were no signs of her waking. Jake had urgently called for his old friend to see to her. "Her blood's low so the oxygen isn't going to her body efficiently." Neytiri looked down at the girl worriedly. "What does she need? A blood transfusion?" Norm tapped his chin. "It could work theoretically, but I don't know enough about Na'vi blood right now to do the procedure. It'd be too risky." Jake shook his head as the worry wrinkles dug into his forehead.

"How much time do we have?" The two looked back to Viryn's body. Her colouration was still very pale, but her breathing was at least even and consistent. "If I don't figure out how to get her blood to a normal amount soon I would say, maybe a week?" Neytiri scrunched her eyes closed and lowered her forehead to Viryn's stomach. "Please be merciful great mother." Kiri rubbed Merq'ena's back as they all looked at Viryn.

The girl didn't look like herself. She was receiving nutrients from the IV which helped to supplement her but she was slowly beginning to lose weight. It was easiest to see in her legs and face. It was a small detail that still worked up a lot of concern. Neteyam reached to hold onto her even colder hands. The feel of them against his warm palms were eerie. It reminded him of when she was alive and well instead of the husk she had become. Would she ever recover? Or would the hope in his heart before nothing?

Norm patted Jake's shoulder before reaching down to the tin. He had come with the intention to remove the bullets but it would be too risky with so much blood loss. "I'll try and figure things out with Max. We'll find a way to save her." Jake licked his lips and nodded his head to the ground. "Thank you." The father moved to see his old friend out. Neteyam looked down at Viryn's face. He felt guilty, she got hurt protecting him, and she nearly died because of her wounds. Neytiri straighten and sucked in a breath.

There was a polite knock at the entrance of their tent. The group turned to see Tsireya, Heryl, and Aonung. The three gestured traditionally at the group with their heads lowered.

"I'll give you time." Neytiri whispered as she rose. The woman looked down at the body wistfully one more time before walking out of the tent. Heryl moved first to kneel by Viryn's feet and tried to give them a comforting smile. Tsireya sat down next to Lo'ak and leaned her head in the crook of his neck.

Aonung sat behind Heryl but still looked down at Viryn. "Any signs of her waking up?" Heryl asked hopefully. Neteyam shook his head. "Thank you Tsireya, for noticing her breathing." Neteyam forced a smile. "Yes, thank you." Merq'ena looked up at Tsireya. "You don't need to thank me for this. I did what anyone would do." The future Tsahik looked down at Viryn for a second, her worry visible in her pale blue eyes. Merq'ena nodded just once. "What did my mother say?" Tsireya asked, hopeful for some good news.

"She said that her soul is gone." Kiri whispered. "Even if her body is healed, she won't wake up." Tsireya looked worriedly down at Viryn. "What about your dad's friend?" She looked to Lo'ak. The boy shook his head. "Can't we do something to get her soul back?" Neteyam asked looking at Tsireya. She was the future Tsahik, perhaps she would be more well informed with the spiritual side of the Na'vi. Tsireya looked down at the ground to think. Everyone looking at her. "Well, my mother said that when someone dies, their soul goes back to Eywa. You can access their soul through the spirit tree."

Kiri perked up her ears at the idea. "But Viryn is not from here. Until she is buried I can't say for sure she will reside in our spirit tree." Tsireya quickly finished. "But there is a chance?" Lo'ak asked her. Tsireya nodded while swaying her head side to side to express how unsure she was with her answer. "But mother suggests against it." Aonung spoke up. "She believes that Eywa's will should not be tempered with."