X. STAR X CROSSED X LOVERS

Start from the beginning

"Woah. He's fast!" Gon commented honestly as huge monsters appeared out of nowhere, attacking the man as the group winced. They watched as he was eaten alive and the monsters flew away.

"Okay... so it looks like going down from the outside isn't an option..." Leorio commented, his mouth agape in shock as he tried to process what he just witnessed.

Gon just looked around before he spotted a familiar mop of snow-white hair as he grinned, "Hey Killua!" Gon waved at the boy who stiffened at the noise, "Did you find a way down yet?!" Gon yelled a little too loudly as the group approached the boy.

"If I did do you think I would still be up here?!" Killua hissed as he caught glance of the familiar blackette beside the boy. Unable to face her, he looked away awkwardly as Gon continued to pester him. "We watched someone go down from the outside... that didn't go so well so there must be another way down." Gon explained as Killua sighed. "I assumed so," Killua hummed.

"We should split up and look around, we should be able to find something that way." Kurapika suggested as the group agreed. Kurapika and Leorio had gone south while Gon and Kamine headed north. Unable to bring himself to follow Kamine, Killua simply headed west, searching alone as the rest of the group broke into duos.

Kamine glanced back at the boy, Killua didn't follow them. She frowned, the distance between them had seemed to become immeasurable after the events of the night before. It was frustrating and disheartening, but Kamine was dumbfounded at how to fix it.

"Don't worry Kamine." Gon reassured, sensing the female's anxiety, "Sure Killua is frustrated right now, but he'll come around and apologize, then everything will go back to normal. He just needs space." Gon explained as Kamine gave a solemn nod, not fully convinced by the boy's words.

They had walked around for a bit before Gon abruptly tripped, face planting as Kamine approached the boy in shock. One of the panels beneath his feet had pushed in as he was walking, pressing it Kamine was shocked to see it move again.

Mere seconds afterward, a man in front of them fell through the floor, the duo shooting each other a curious glance as they went to investigate. Oddly enough the panel didn't move as they pressed it.

"Must be a once time use." Gon determined as Kamine nodded. Investigating more they found five more panels nearby that also hadn't been used.

"Hey guys!" Gon waved as the group headed over, "We found a secret trap door." Gon explained as he pressed in the floor. "Good going Gon!" Leorio smiled as he patted the boy on the back, "Now let's use it and get out of here."

"But I'm confused." Gon continued as he glanced at the girl who gave him a small shrug, "There are multiple trap doors and each of them can only be used once, Kamine and I tried to open one someone used before, but it wouldn't budge." Gon explained as the blackette nodded, agreeing with his words.

"We must have to go independently then." Killua established as the group agreed.

"Why don't we just pick a random door and all fall in at the same time." Kurapika suggested as Gon nodded, "Yeah, that way there are no hard feelings!" Gon agreed with the idea as the group separated to their respective doors.

"We'll count to three and all jump at the same time." Leorio instructed as the group complied.

"I guess this will be a temporary goodbye for all of us." Gon frowned as Kurapika gave the boy a reassuring smile, "Then I'll see you guys at the bottom." He grinned as Gon cheered up.

"Right!" Gon smiled as the group began to count to three. After the time was up, they all jumped onto their selective panels, falling through the door as they groaned in shock.

"Eh? Kurapika? Killua?" Gon furrowed his brows as he recognized the group instantly.

"Well that was a short-lived farewell." Kurapika commented, brushing off his pants as he stepped forward, glancing at the sign in the middle of the room.

"From now until the end, the five of you will carry on by following what the majority wants." Gon read the sign aloud as Leorio groaned, "What 'majority wants' what does that mean?" The man cracked his neck as Kurapika fastened the wristband upon his arm, "I assume it means this test will include a lot of voting, in which we will have to select via majority rule." Kurapika explained as the others fastened their wristbands.

Killua shrugged as he grabbed his, leaving one last wristband left for the quiet blackette, "Alright the last one is your's Kamine." He looked up as he came to a suddenly realization, the rest of the group looking around as they gasped in shock.

Kamine wasn't anywhere to be found.

-=-=-=-

Kamine fell for almost a minute before she landed, light on her feet as she barely made a noise.

Looking up she noticed the sign, plastered with cheesy hearts and pink lights the sign read "Road of Two Lovers." Kamine almost gagged at the how cringy the entire setup was. Underneath the sign was a box with a small choker which Kamine hesitantly picked up, the other one was already missing.

Next to the box some instructions were engraved into the wall, "From now until the end, two of you will be star-crossed lovers destined from birth. In order to pass this phase of the exam you must get to the bottom of the tower wearing the choker below, however if one of the lovers dies during the exam the choker will administer an electric shock strong enough to kill anyone wearing it." The board red as Kamine winced, sure she was sure she could survive a bad electric shock if her "Lover" had died, but that doesn't mean it won't be strong enough to paralyze her, stopping her from finishing the exam. She sighed, she wished her lover was Killua for at least if she died Killua would be able to endure the shock.

Looking up she decided to read the rest of the notice, "If you make it to the end of the exam, the chokers will disable, unclipping from your necks. Also once they are on, the chokers are unremovable and unbreakable until the end of the exam, so don't try to break them. Not like you would be able to anyways." It finished as the female noticed the ominous presence surrounding the choker. Taking the two ends she attempted to rip the choker in half but it didn't budge. If it was regular metal she was sure she could've at least bent the item but these chokers wouldn't budge.

They really were indestructible, Kamine realized as she put the choker on. Once on her neck the choker beeped before displaying a blue heartbeat, oddly enough it didn't take her long to figure out it wasn't her own.

It must've been her "lover's", she deduced as she grazed the device, looking to the other end of the room as the handles of the door creaked. The door was set to open once both chokers were in use but the door had already been destroyed by someone else, dented and folded against the ground as Kamine quickly stepped over to investigate.

She bit her lip, finding a particular item on the floor. She recognized exactly who her lover was,

Reaching down she picked up the small item, frowning when she recognized the item as the four of spades.

-=-=-

-* notes *-

#38 - Killua had asked for his skateboard before they ran into Netero, since he never managed to give it back on the airship he now has to carry it around with him.

#39 - Kamine was baffled as to how she picked up the same card, considering that she had seen it destroyed in the first phase.

-=-=-