RESPONSIBLE

"What was the one thing I asked?!"

Tefiti froze behind the door.
She didn't expect Jakesully to be in the Marui pod this early in the morning. She had seen him swimming in the shallows everyday at that time with Tonowari. She flashed her eye through the crack of the door.

"It was to keep out of trouble!"

The sun lit up the pod in a honey-yellow glow. Lo'ak looked into space infront of Toruk Makto who stood out of sight behind the door. And Neteyam, Neteyam stood flatly, his shoulders drooped, looking away from his father in shame. His golden eyes shone in the morning light, his lean muscles tensing and relaxing as he clenched and unclenched his balled fists.

"Look, I'm sorry, it was my fault." He stepped inbetween his brother and his father, holding his hands in the air. He was dangerously close to the door as the girl stepped back gently.

"Oh I don't think so, you've gotta stop taking the heat for this knuckle head!" Jakesully barked, Pointing to Lo'ak with his five fingers. "You don't go drinking on a beach with people you don't know!"

Neteyam looked up to the door; anywhere not at his father, where he caught the girl's green orbs staring back at him through the strip of sunlight through the gap in the door.

"Tefiti." He blurted to the door. Lo'ak's eyes shot to the door in surprise, the girl sheepishly pushing door open to reveal herself. Toruk looked at her, embarrassed she had walked in on their argument.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion." She bowed to him flustered, muttering "I see you, Jakesully" gently. He nodded to her in slight confusion.

"What are you doing here?"

"I couldn't help but overhear." She sucked in a breath of air, stepping into the pod. Her shoulder brushed against Neteyam's, making him angle his face away from her so she couldn't see his faint blush. Jakesully watched him suspiciously.

"It was my fault, seriously. I.. I could've stopped it, they had no choice but to follow the others, really." She pleaded with the man, who's face softened at her words. He shook his head, sighing.

"Lo'ak. Go apologise to Aonung. Now." He waved him off. Lo'ak's eyes widened.

"But, sir-"
"Just do it Lo'ak. Now." Jakesully turned to Tefiti, who gulped, glancing at Neteyam.

"You are Tefiti?" She nodded. "Ronal is looking for you."

Tefiti couldn't hide her loud groan in annoyance. "Fuck." She swore in Metkayina tongue under her breath, before nodding to Jakesully and glancing at Neteyam as she stormed out of the Pod. Neteyam had given her an apologetic look before innocently following behind her.

"Hey. I'm not finished with you." Neteyam turned around to face his father.

"So, Tefiti. Is that girl the one that Kiri is always talking about?" He shifted uncomfortably on his feet. Jakesully smiled at the deja-vu.