TSAHIK

"Tefiti

"Tefiti."
Tefiti rolled onto her side groaning at the early sun which shone into the pod. Her curls lay in an afro halo around her shoulders.
"What is it mother?" she curled into a ball as her mother shook her gently on her arms.
"Ronal is waiting for us. In their pod. Hurry now."
Ronal was looking for her?

She sat up in her bed. though it was nestled into the wall of the pod, the sun shone directly into her cubby hole as she grumbled under her breath, adjusting her headress and stumbling to the Chief's pod.
What was this? Was this about the Sully?
As she arrived, her mother and father were already waiting for her with the Tonowari and Ronal. She mentally cringed as she remembered she was supposed to be avoiding Ronal and her lessons, but it was too late to leave the pod now.

"I see you, Olo'Eytukan Tonowari, Tsahik Ronal." She greeted the pair timidly, her slender fingers clinging gently the the oval frame of the expansive pod.
"Take a seat, Tefiti." Tonowari nodded to a spot next to where her parents kneeled, watching her intently as she crossed her legs swiftly.

"May i ask what this is about?" The girl was mentally prepared to be brutally berated and lectured by her parents and Ronal about her Tsahik Training.
"We want to discuss something with you. A proposal." Ronal commented, looking to Tonowari.

"Well- Tefiti. You and Aonung are very close to eachother. Friends for years." Tonowari nodded towards her parents, who smiled back. Tefiti blinked blankly.
"You've been close to eachother ever since you learnt to swim. He's the boy you talk with the most." He continued as the girl nodded. What were they getting at?

"My son, he is destined to be the next Olo'eytukan. The chief of the village, The leader of this reef." Ronal interrupted him. The faces in the room tightened as she continued.
"You are future Tsahik. Though you fail me time and time again, you will be Tsahik and that is final." Tefiti hung her head slightly nodding. Thats what she was getting at. She was absaloutely in bother now.
"What does Aonung have to do with me being Tsahik?"

"Well. Ronal and i, we've discussed with your parents.. the idea of you becoming destined, when you become of age and take your final rite of passage."

Destined.
Destined is not what she had been hoping for.
The idea of mating had never crossed Te'fiti's mind. Granted, she knew she shall have children at one point, though she had never put much thought into who with at that time, as it never seemed like it fully mattered. The idea of being destined had not crossed her mind once in her life. Her cousins had been destined once or twice before, likwise some destined to other clans and islands, but she had never expected the time had come to her now.
And Aonung! Aonung, a sour, aggressive, mocking boy that she only happened to be friends with out of reasons she did not even know; yet he was kind, sweet, comforting, the closest friend to the girl she had ever met. Could she even see him in a romantic light? Broad shoulders, rows of black shiny braids, tall as her, muscular, could she? Should she?