thirty eight

since shes's gonna be in the next few chapters, this is luna 😝 she's married so her last name is Cortez, so Luna Cortez

The entire time that Luna and Rick have been in Los Angeles, which has now been two days, not, including the night that they arrived, Anastasia has been in a coma

The entire time that Luna and Rick have been in Los Angeles, which has now been two days, not, including the night that they arrived, Anastasia has been in a coma.  The doctors said it shouldn't be long since her body was just recovering from the traumatic gunshot and surgery, but it felt like forever for everyone. 

Returning to the next shift was very different.  Not only was the 118 missing a key member to their team, but firefighters and paramedics were now being escorted by the SWAT team, and had to wear a bulletproof vests to every single call.  It was scary for everyone, especially the family members. Everyone had a loved one back home who had to watch them walk out with a bulletproof vest every morning.  It would've made sense if they were cops, but they aren't.  Their job was to put out fires, rescue cats from trees, pull people out of car accidents, not have to face getting shot every shift.

On his days off, Buck would sit beside Anastasia's hospital bed, wanting to be there for when she finally woke up.  He knew Anastasia would want Luna and Rick to enjoy their vacation, so he would force them out, convincing them that there was so much outside that they could do close by to the hospital.  They'd usually leave for a few hours to get food and do a little sightseeing, only to come right back to the hospital.  Over the past few days, Luna had been stress knitting, so Anastasia's couch now had a few new blankets and Tatum had a new sweater.

At the end of his first shift without Anastasia for the first time ever since she moved to Los Angeles, Buck drove home to shower and change into new clothes.  His plan was to go visit Anastasia, as usual, but after his shower, he needed to pack all of his snacks since the hospital didn't have the best stuff.  Since her first day in the hospital, Buck kept Anastasia's favorites packed, knowing that when she woke up, she wouldn't want to eat just jell-o.

As he was looking through his cabinets for more stuff to put in his bag, he got a text from Luna that made him forget about the cabinets and just grab what he already had and run down to his car.

You need to get down here ASAP

He didn't even question it, and Luna definitely didn't mean to scare him, but he immediately thought the worst. After he had parked in the parking lot, he ran to the hospital doors, almost forgetting his snack bag, and then ran through the hospital to get to her room. From the angle he came in at, he wasn't able to see Anastasia because her doctor, Luna, and Rick were all standing above her bed. When he was about 10 feet away from the door, he slowed down to a walk, kind of scared of whatever they were all going to tell him.

Luna and the doctor were talking, but Rick was the one to notice that he had finally arrived and pointed it out. Everyone turned to him, and Luna smiled before stepping out of the way, finally letting Buck see Anastasia. Who was awake.