"Dinner's almost ready." She announced, her eyebrows rising as she looked down to where I sat on the ground.

"Why are you on the ground?"

"No reason." I said, pulling myself up from the floor.

I followed my mother down the stairs and to the kitchen. The familiar smell of my favourite dish entered my nostrils. Chicken Pasta.

I sat down at the dining table and began eating straight away.

"Try not to get detention again." My mom warned me before eating her own plate of food.

"Okay." I said before continuing to dig in.

"Nora called earlier, she wanted you to give her a call." Dad said.

"I'll call her later."

"So, what happened at school today?" Dad asked, causing mom to give him a glare.

Dad's always been the chill parents, meanwhile mom is the more authoritative one.

"Some guy tripped me over so i swore at him."

"That's my boy."

"John!" Mom snarled. "Don't encourage his behaviour."

"Did you not just hear him? Some moron tripped him over, what do you want him to do? Be nice about it?" Dad quipped.

"You should have reported him to the principal."

I placed my fork down on the table and pushed my plate away. "I'm not hungry anymore."

I pushed myself out of my seat and raced upstairs, locking myself in my bedroom. I've never told my parents about me being bullied for being gay. Anytime I'd come home with a bruise or a scratch from being punched or pushed, I'd make up a lie and say I fell.

All I wanted to do was scream.

My phone buzzed with a notification from Ryan.

I unlocked my phone to read his text.

Because I like you.

~

The next day started off with my parents still going on about my detention.

Instead of waiting around for breakfast, I walked straight outside and waited for Ella to pick me up, like she did every morning so we could get coffee together.

It was our tradition.

After fifteen minutes had passed, Ella texted me saying that she couldn't pick me up today.

I contemplated going back inside to ask mom or dad to drive me to school, but I could hear them still arguing.

Great. Guess I have to walk to school.

I plugged my earphones into my ears and began walking down the street, utterly annoyed at life.

My mind went back to Ryan's text from last night. Because I like you. I didn't know what to make of it. I had left him on read, and tried to forget about it. He was one of my bullies, I can't just pretend nothing happened and become friends with him.

Another text from Ella pulled me from my train of thought.

Sorry. Tom needed me to pick him up today.

So much for tradition.

It's fine. I responded before continuing the walk to school.

I stopped in the Coffee House on the way, ordering myself a Mocha to-go. "Name?" The new barista asked.

Where's Caroline? She's usually here every day.

"Charlie." I replied.

"Alright Charlie, that'll be three dollars."

I pulled out three dollars and placed it in the barista's hand.

"Shouldn't take too long."

I nodded with a half-smile, taking a step out of the way of incoming customers. I looked down at my phone, reading another text Ella had sent.

See you at school.

I sighed at the last word, wishing I could just be homeschooled.

"I'll have a cappuccino, two sugars, please." Said a familiar voice.

I kept my eyes on my phone, not wanting to look up at the jerk who tripped me yesterday.

"Name?" The barista asked.

"Ace."

I slid my phone into my pocket, still keeping my eyes facing down as I began to pick at my fingernails.

It was a terrible habit, biting and picking at my nails all of the time, but I couldn't help it.

"Mocha for Charlie." The barista called.

I awkwardly made my way to the counter to get my drink. "Thanks." I said to the barista, turning around to make a quick exit.

"Oh, hello connard." Ace greeted me as I attempted to walk by him unnoticed.

I just rolled my eyes and scoffed before continuing to exit the store.