it's okay ise got ya

That night was filled with celebration from every newsie in Manhattan, who have just started their strike. Tiger on the other hand had remained silent through the whole night. She was too busy in her thoughts to acknowledge anyone else.
"Tiger?...Tiger?...Tiger are you okay?"
Albert asked waving a hand in front of her face.
"...What?"
Tiger asked snapping out of her trance.
"Tiger? Are you still thinking about your parents?"
Albert asked worriedly grabbing her shoulders so she would face him. She flinched violently at the sudden touch.  She wasn't like this voluntarily if it really were up to her she'd be celebrating with the rest of the newsies but instead she couldn't get the idea of her parents finding her out of her head.  How much trouble she'd be in, how her parents would soak her till she couldn't stand any longer.
"Tiger, hey? I ain't gonna hurt ya"
Albert started until he was pushed out of the way by Racetrack.
"Hey? Hey. No one's gonna hurt ya. Okay? I won't let 'em Tiger. Albert just forgot... But that's not all... Tiger what's wrong?"
Racetrack soothed her and wiped away her tears with a comforting smile. He could tell there was something wrong.
"Nothing's wrong."
Tiger tried to say like she was fine but it came out as more of a whimper.
"Tiger. It's me. It's Racer you know you can tell me anything. Do you want me to get Jack?"
Racetrack asked her rubbing his hands up and down her arms soothingly. Tiger shook her head 'no'.
"Look at him. Look how happy he is. Ise don't want to ruin that. I'm just gonna go to my room."
Tiger told him and Albert. She kissed both of their cheeks and told Jack she was going to go to bed as she gave him a big hug which he was quick to return.
"G'night boys!"
Tiger announced to the newsies leaning on the railing to go upstairs.
"G'night Tiger!"
They all cheered back, holding up their drinks at her as she walked upstairs to her room.

"She's not okay."
Albert whispered to Racetrack.
"I know I just wanna to know why."
Racetrack told him.
"It's not yous fault Racer, you know Tiger, she don't like ta act weak."
Albert told Racetrack putting his hand on his shoulder.
"She won't even tell Jack, he's her brother. Don't be ta hard on youseself."
Albert added.
"Ise just wanna help her."
Racetrack whispered more to himself than Albert.

"Hey, you know when you said that 'the only dreams you have are of her', was that true?"
Albert asked trying to break the silence the mood. Racetrack snorted a laugh and scoffed.
"No.. yes."
Racetrack admitted. Albert started to laugh historically.
"Ah shit, Racer, Jack's gonna kill ya."
Albert said between spaced out laughs.
"I know!"
Racetrack stressed to Albert, taking off his cap to run his fingers through his hair.  Albert patted his shoulder comfortingly as they both walked over to the other celebrating newsies.

After the celebration was over and all the newsies went to their beds that was  in the boys sleeping hall except Jack and Crutchie which were in his 'penthouse in the sky'. 

Racetrack left his bed in the middle of the night to get water.  On his way he heard whimpers from Tiger's room.  The curiosity had got to him as he looked inside and he saw Tiger tossing and turning violently in her bed, having a nightmare.  She was whispering things like: 'get away from me!', 'don't touch me!', 'I'm sorry I won't leave again!', and 'I hate you!'.
He instantly ran to her bedside.  He shook her softly to wake her up.
"Hey... Tiger come on, it's me, ain't no one gonna hurt ya."
He whispered shaking her softly.
"No! I hate you! Get away!"
Tiger cried in her sleep.  Racetrack knew it wasn't directed to him but hearing those words from her shattered his heart.
"No Tiger it's Racer. I won't hurt ya... Ya have ta wake up."
Racetrack soothed.  She pushed his hand off of her.
"Stop! Racer! Help me please."
Tiger cried hitting her bed.
"Tiger! Wake up come on it's just me no one's here."
Racetrack told her sitting up next to her on her bed and took her in his arms.  She fought against him until she finally was able to open her eyes.
"Racer!"
Tiger gasped for air.
"Hey...hey it's okay, I've got you. Sh..sh."
Racetrack told her running his fingers through her hair.
"I was so scared Racer!"
Tiger cried into his shoulder.
"Hey I've got you now. Does you trust me?"
Racetrack asked pulling away to look into her eyes.
"Of course Ise do."
Tiger told him as he was wiping away her tears with his thumb.
"Okay. What happened?"
Racetrack asked her.
"What do ya mean?"
Tiger avoided his question.
"Tiger don't do this. What happened in yous nightmare?"
Racetrack asked holding her face in his hands and her arms were around his neck. 
"Synder turned me into my parents.  A-and th-they took you away from me! A-and they hurt me! A-and Synder t-took you to the refuge!"
Tiger cried loudly. Racetrack had tears in his eyes now.
"Tiger don't you dare worry about me. I promise you I will keep you safe no matter what! I would go to the refuge for you. I won't let them get to you!"
Racetrack told her seriously.  He put their foreheads together and they stayed like that for a while.  Racetrack started to get up to go back to his bed but was pulled back. 
"Tiger?"
Racetrack asked.
"D-don't leave me."
Tiger begged.  Racetrack looked at her sympathetically.
"Tiger I- fine."
He held her for the rest of the night.  She didn't have another nightmare.

In the morning Albert turned over to an empty bed next to his as Elmer did the same from the bed across from Albert.  They looked at each other panicked.  Racetrack wasn't in his bed.
Albert and Elmer went to get Tiger up to look for Racetrack. 
"Hey Tiger. Racer wasn't in his bed we don- Racer?"
Albert said peeking into the room.
"Holy- Racer?! Tiger?! Albert let me in I wanna see!"
Elmer exclaimed trying to get past Albert.
"No Elmer just get the guys up we gotta tell the rest of New York today."
Albert said pushing Elmer away. Albert walked into the room shutting the door behind him.
"What is this?"
Albert asked crossing his arms.
"I swear it's not what it looks like!"
Tiger said jumping out of the bed.
"I mean it could be?"
Racetrack said suggestively wiggling his eyebrows.
"Shut up!"
Tiger scolded hitting him with a pillow.
"Hey I'm just saying."
Racetrack said defensively, throwing the pillow back at her
"Guys!"
Albert yelled, his arms still crossed waiting for an explanation.
"I had a nightmare okay! And Racer helped me."
Tiger told him pushing him to the side to get ready.
"It's true."
Racetrack told him.
"Aye get out ya pervs! We gotta strike to settle."
Tiger told them pushing both of them out.
"Oh and tell Elmer if he tells anyone anything it won't just be the Delanceys Ise be soakin' today!"
Tiger growled closing the door in the boys' faces.
"Yes ma'am!"
Racer saluted.
"Will do!"
Albert saluted as well. Tiger laughed to herself at the boys from the other side of the door. She changed into her clothes for the day. (the outfit in the cover of this book)

Once she was ready to go and exited her room as the door made a loud creek, she glared at Elmer with a 'you better not' face causing Elmer to gulp nervously, Racetrack and Albert both chuckled at him.
"Okay Newsies of Manhattan! Who's ready to strike!"
Jack announced hyping up the newsies as they replied with a chorus of 'yeah's as they all went their separate ways.  Before Racetrack and Tiger left, Jack held them back to talk.
"Hey Tiger! Be safe. And Racetrack if she gets hurt, you'll be on the streets for good."
Jack told them hugging Tiger before walking away to Davey and Les.
"Okay okay get outta here!"
Tiger yelled behind him laughing.
"Yous know he scares me sometimes."
Racetrack laughed.
"You're not really scared of my brother."
Tiger teased him, poking his chest then his nose and flicking his cap.
"Nah, Ise more scared a you."
Racetrack teased back as Tiger fawned a gasp and playfully punched his arm.
"But hey he's looking after his little sister."
Racetrack teased messing up Tiger's hair.
"Shut up."
Tiger joked pushing him away from her.
"Awh are you embarrassed?"
Racetrack teased.
"No."
Tiger said turning away from him.
"Are you sure about that?"
Racetrack teased her picking her up and spinning her around.
"Put me down!"
Tiger laughed.
"Let mes think bout that... nope!"
Racetrack laughed.
"Racer!"
Tiger yelled at him.
"I's think I'm gonna take you to Queens like this."
Racetrack told her.  Tiger could do nothing but laugh at him.  She could always count on him to brighten her day.  He could always make fun of her but she had one thing up her sleeve. 
She grabbed the cigar out of his mouth and put it in hers.
"Tiger! That's my cigar!"

Word Count: 1566