leave her alone

"Papers for the Newsies! Line up!
Wiesel called from the newsbox to all the newsies that were gathered in the middle of Newsie Square.  The Delanceys went to join Wiesel in the box to hand out papers.  Jack was the first to the window followed by the rest of the newsies.

"Good morning Weasel.  Did you miss me?"
Jack asked winking at Wiesel.
"That's Wise-el."
Wiesel said correcting him but Jack just turned around to Racetrack that was behind him and laughed at Wiesel.
"Hey, ain't that what I said?"
Jack said making fun of him slamming his quarters down of the money box that was in front of Wiesel.
"A hundred papes for the wise guy."
Wiesel told the Delanceys.  Oscar throws the stack at Jack and Racetrack moves up to the window.
"How's it going Weasel?"
Race said in a teasing voice earning snickers from Tiger and Albert. 
"Would it kill ya to call me "mister""
Wiesel said annoyed rolling his eyes.
"I'll call ya sweetheart if ya spot me fifty papes eh?"
Racetrack asked in a mockingly flirty tone.
"Drop the cash and move it along!"
Wiesel yelled getting face to face menacingly with him.  Racetrack gasped dramatically and slammed his coins on the box.
"Well whatever happened to romance?"
Racetrack said walking away acting hurt by Wiesel's words and then waited at the wagon for Tiger to get her papes since she was his selling partner.
"Hi Weasel, what papes do you got for me today?"
Tiger asked batting her eyelashes at him and the Delanceys. 

Racetrack always hated the way that the Delanceys looked at her like she was some piece of meat.  And that was exactly how they were looking at her.  He didn't realize that his fists were clenched till Jack came up to him.
"Race, you good?"
Jack whispered to him.  Racetrack unclenched his fists.
"Yeah I'm fine."
Racetrack said brushing it off.

"Give up the act Tiger, hand it over."
Wiesel told her as he rose an eyebrow. This trick was a normal for Tiger, it's how she always sold all her papes first.  Wiesel was normally one to slip a few extra papes for her but ever since his wife found out that he was flirting with a sixteen year old girl he's been extra strict so her tricks only worked on costumers and the Delaneys.
"Ugh fine yer no fun Weasel. 60 papes."
Tiger says slamming her quarters down on the box grabbing her papes from Oscar.
"How bout I take you on a date and you and yer friends get yer papes for free."
Oscar said winking at Tiger while handing her the papes.
Tiger looked back behind her to Jack and Racetrack and smirked, she turned back to Oscar and bit her lip.
"How could I eva say no to that?"
Tiger said twisting her fingers in her hair.
"Then it's a date Tiger, you and me tonight at Medda's, tonight.  It would be good to get you away from these...people."
Oscar said grimacing when he said the words 'these people'.
"It's a date."
Tiger said winking at Oscar and walking back to where Racetrack and Jack were.

"Yer not going on any dates Tiger, if I won't allow ya to date a newsie what makes ya think that I would let you date a Delancey?"
Jack whisper-yelled at Tiger. Tiger just rolled her eyes and looked at Racetrack to back her up but instead it looked like he was about to beat someone up.
"Racer? Racer you good?"
Tiger asked him hitting his arm lightly.
"Huh? Oh uh yeah yeah I'm fine. Sorry Tiger but I actually agree with Jack. Those Delanceys, they ain't no good."
Racetrack told her. She looked at him shocked, Racetrack was always on her side.
"Oh come on yous two! It's one date for free papes."
Tiger begged.
"No! Tiger! The final answer is no! I ain't lettin ya get hurt."
Jack told her as Tiger just scoffed at him.
"Oh come on, Jack!  It's one date."
Tiger told him frustratedly.
"Fine whatever Tiger."
Jack said sighing turning to face Racetrack.
"Keep an eye on her."
Jack whispered to Racetrack walking away from them to the new kid who was arguing with Wiesel.
Racetrack gave him a thumbs up.

Jack took the new kid's papes. As the new kid's little brother looked up at him confused.
"Eh new kid's right Weasel, you gave him 19 he asked for 20. Hey, Racer give me a nickel, 50 papes for the new guy."
Jack said more to the group than any specific person. Racetrack reached into his pocket and threw a nickel to Jack.
"No, I don't want more papes."
The new kid shut him down. Jack just scoffed at him.
"What kinda Newsie don't want more papes?"
Jack asked and the rest of the Newsies agreed. And a chorus of 'yeahs' were heard.
"I'm no charity case I don't need your help."
The new kid said trying to walk away.
"Aye there little guy what's your name?"
Tiger asked dragging the attention from Jack and Davey to her and the little boy.
"My name's Les and I'm a single man!"
Les said and the newsies all chuckled at him.  Tiger giggled at his comment.  Racetrack looked down at her and Les with the biggest smile Albert swears he's never seen before.
"Well you got competition now Racer."
Albert whispered to Racetrack. Racetrack shoved him off.
"I ain't scared of no kid, it's Oscar that's I'm worried about."
Racetrack said gesturing over to Oscar, who was messing with one of the kid newsies.
"Aye she yer sellin partner right?"
Albert said turning his attention back to Racetrack.
"Yeah what about it?"
Racetrack asked looking back down at Tiger.
"Then you can convince her to not go on that date."
Albert said in a 'duh' tone
"Nah you know Tiger she's determined."
Racetrack said back in the same tone.
"Well you can't say I didn't try."
Albert whispered and Tiger made her way back over to Racetrack.
"Isn't he just the cutest?"
Tiger gushed.
"Who? Oscar?"
Racetrack joked.
"No! Racer I mean Les!"
Tiger said punching Racetrack in the arm and took his cigar and put in her mouth.
"Aye! Stop taking my cigar!"
Racetrack laughed at her and she giggled in return.
Racetrack threw his arm over her shoulders.
"Aye! Jack we gonna sell papes or no?"
Racetrack yelled at him to get his attention from Davey.
"Alright, alright! Newsies of Manhattan! Go sell some papes!"
Jack yelled to all the newsies. And there was a chorus of 'yeahs' after.

Newsies: We'll all be out there
Carrying the banner man to man!
We're always out there
Soakin' every sucker that we can!
Here's the headline:
Newsies on a mission
Kill the competition!
Sell the next edition!
We'll be out there
Carrying the banner!
See us out there
Carrying the banner!
Always out there
Carrying the banner!
Ahh, ahh, ahh, go!

Word Count: 1173