Chapter 18: First Date

Start from the beginning

298, 299, and...300. Game on!

Still with my eyes closed, I take a minute to think up the best route. Zoro's a perceptive man, and he for sure will be on high alert of his surroundings, so I must tread carefully. The movement helps me overcome the chilly breeze, as I swiftly climb a treetop. Silently, I head towards the green target using the sturdy branches of different trees for footing. The task proves rather tricky, since I can't see much, and I need to be slow if I want to remain undetected. A bunch of trees later, I'm on top of the oblivious swordman.

"Tagged!" I pounce at him from the top of the tree, taking the man completely by surprise. By the time he looks up, gravity had already seen to give him no escape.

Our bodies crash and Zoro falls back, providing me a cushioned fall. The utter shock on his face has me cackling.

"Are you insane?!" He raises his voice, trying push me half-heartedly at the same time, but I support my weight on my elbows and hover over his face.

"You told me to find you, remember?" I laugh.

"Yeah, not to try to kill me, woman!" his voice sounds annoyed but he's smiling back at me, and there it is again; the desperate urge to kiss him.

"I didn't hurt you, did I?"

he scoffs, "As if."

"This is not the first time you fall from a tree on me," he states, a rather light-coloured complain.

"It can be our thing," I chuckle.

He huffs, "that's ridiculous," Zoro turns us around, he on top now.

This time I turn us around, "You are ridiculous."

"Next time I'm not catching you," another roll.

"Next time I'm falling on someone else, then," I get the top.

He rolls us once more, "Oh yeah? Next time I'm pushing you over."

"Next time I'm taking you down with me," another turn.

This time Zoro pushes me to the ground a bit roughly, a cocky smile ready, "Alright. But when we get down... I prefer when I'm on t-"

Before we knew it, we were on the edge of a slope. The earth gave way as we turned, sending us rolling downwards, a cloud of dust, dirt, rocks, and twigs in our path.

When I fell again, I landed back on top of the green-haired idiot, all scruffy. In between coughs, I can't help but laugh uncontrollably.

"Are you kidding me?" Zoro's frustrated voice rises over my laugh, as he grabs me by the wrist, seeing a new wound oozing red. "Shit. You're bleeding."

It's a small cut though, nothing to worry about.

"What were you saying before, you favoured the top?" I can't escape the laughing fit. He had meant to sound so much different.

With a click of his tongue, I was sure he was going to push me to the side to stand up, and I was going to let him, when I sensed something nearby.

"What?"

I put a hand on his mouth, leaning further against him to use the grass as camouflage. With a head gesture, I point towards the two auras.

"What... that"

"...bly nothing."

"...here's okay."

"...won't find us."

"Did... let...old man know?"

"...yours?"

"Neither..."