When One Becomes Two

Začať od začiatku

"We wouldn't have had to if you just came to the Institute and explained everything to her instead of hiding like a coward."

"A coward?" Her left eye twitched. "I was protecting my people and you call that cowardice?" She took a step forward.

Jace stepped forward as well, not backing down. "I call it like I see it."

"Okay, 'you call it like you see it?' Tell me." The light on the table near them flickered. "What am I then?"

So, the shadowhunter did. "You're a coward and a liar. You had all these years to tell the truth, but you hid it from me."

"So that's what this is about?" Similar to Alec, Kas was able to read between the lines of his words. "You're mad because I hurt your pride?"

"The Circle killed my father, I deserved to know!" Jace's true colors shined through. "I deserved to know who my girlfriend was!"

"And I'm still the same person!" As Kas yelled back, the light next to them exploded causing the two to duck slightly due to the scrapes that flew around the room. The warlock took a deep breath knowing she'd had to get her emotions in check.

"Look, I'm sorry about your father, I really am. But you need to understand. The Circle, Valentine, killed thousands of warlocks, of downworlders, the same people I represent. Do you know how much more danger I would be in, you would be in, if word got out about who I shared blood with as I grew up!" She ran her fingers through her hair. "It was to protect me and the people I loved. I didn't tell you cause I couldn't."

"Couldn't or wouldn't?" He hissed through his teeth.

"I couldn't." She said, trying to get through to him. "And if you don't believe that, then you don't know me."

"Huh." The anger on Jace's face faded only to be replaced with something else. Something that not even Kas could distinguish. "I guess I don't know you." The words clung to the air as he left Kas standing by herself in the kitchen.

Not even bothering to call him back, Kassidy turned around and placed her hands on the counter. Leaning on it, her head hung down from exhaustion.

A few moments later, a knock on the doorway alerted her. Popping her head up she saw the Lightwood's standing and looking at her with pity.

"Don't look at me like that." She mumbled. "I hate when you two look at me like that."

"Well, we hate to see you like this." Izzy said as she walked over to her friend. "We're sorry about Jace, he was outta line."

"Tell him that." Kas muttered before taking a deep breath. Letting it out, the tension in her shoulders evaporated and was replaced with sadness. "He hates me."

"He doesn't hate you." Alec said as he put his back to the counter next to Kas, who leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Jace could never." Izzy agreed.

"Please, you saw how he looked at me. He thinks I'm a coward." Kassidy let out a weak scoff. "Then there's Clary, who can't even look at me without grabbing that stupid scar." Her foot kicked the ground.

The Lightwoods looked at each other over Kas' head, connecting the dots. "Is that the reason why she doesn't remember?" Isabelle asked.

"It's complicated, but long story short, yeah." The blonde warlock fiddled with her fingers. "I wanna tell you guys, but-"

"Your sister deserves to know first." The shadowhunters finished together, having heard her say it before.

"Oh, shut up." She pushed the two away as her lips pulled up slightly.