When One Becomes Two

Start from the beginning

Handing Magnus the book, Kas shifts around. "I'll make us some tea, it's gonna be awhile." She quickly walked to the kitchen, wanting to escape the tension that everyone could feel.

Magnus followed his child walk behind the wall with his eyes, sighing quietly before turning to look at the newbie. "Come with me."

Glancing at the door that Kas walked though, Clary bit her cheek before following Magnus into the other room.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Magnus warned her. "Everyone wants the Mortal Cup. Don't trust anyone, especially not the Clave."

Clary's brows pinched together. "Then why should I trust you?"

"You shouldn't." The warlock's lips quirked up. "Only trust yourself." After he was done, he placed a box in her hands filled to the brim with different colored chalk.

"These chalks are beautiful." She glanced down at them. "What are they for?"

"If a person wants their memories returned, they must draw the pentagram to summon the demon." He explained as he opened a page from the book that Kassidy gave to him, only to stop on a page with a pentagram. "I can walk you through it, if you like."

Clary denied his help. "I got this."

Holding up his hands, Magnus alerted Jace to enter. "Shadowhunter... prepare Clary as best you can."

Jace, not even giving a second look at the warlock, started talking to Clary about the rune he was going to put on her. "The memory demon is a Greater Demon. The rune will be far more powerful than anything you faced so far."

Gulping a small bit, the red-headed twin put on a brave face. "Do it."

Pulling out his stele, he held down her shoulder. "This might sting." He didn't stop drawing it even though she let out a blood-curdling scream.

—-------

Once Jace finished drawing the rune on Clary, he went to see Kassidy in the kitchen making everyone tea. "Clary's drawing the pentagram." He grumbled.

"Oh?" Kas kept her eyes on the kettle. "You're talking to me now?"

"I try to avoid liars." Was his rebuttal.

"Liars?" Now that got her to turn around. "I've never lied to you, Jace."

"Really?" He crossed his arms over his chest, glaring down at his girlfriend. "You never told me about Clary."

Kas pointed at him. "I told you I had a sister who didn't remember me."

"Which you conveniently left out that she was your twin and a shadowhunter!" The shadowhunter's voice started to rise.

"It wasn't important." She kept her voice steady, trying to avoid wherever this was going.

"Oh, like it wasn't important to tell me who your father is?" The sarcasm was dripping out of his mouth.

"My father-" It was her turn to cross her arms. "-is down the hall in his study. You already know this. Hell, you met the man on numerous occasions."

"I'm not talking about Magnus." He grinded his teeth. "I'm talking about Valentine, Kas!"

She pushed her lips together. "How'd you find out?"

He scoffed at her in disbelief. "It was the only memory the Silent Brother's could pull from Clary."

"You took her to the Silent Brothers?" She physically recoiled at the news. "Are you crazy? She could have died!" Her level-headedness flew out the window at the thought of Clary dying.