Chapter 7: Offer From the Uncle

"Aria Desmond, you have been quite rude lately. To have rejected 4 of my invitations to the banquets that I hosted." Donovan's cold and unwavering eyes pierced her soul. She felt uncomfortable, just like in her early years of childhood, growing up in this household.

"I am sorry, uncle. However, I've been busy with some important banquets of my own, as well as my actual job, which requires a lot of time and effort too, so I don't have much time to be playing around as well." She smirked, straughtening up her psoture and looking up at the taller man with confidence she didnt know where she got from. The older male, however, looked at her with his eyes full of disdain. He disliked her since she had the ability to take the place of the Head from his oldest son, even if she gave up her rights as one, she was still eligible to be a successor if the board of shareholders were to support her enough. And she could easily get their attention.

"You really resemble your mother... Especially with that vile attitude and that sharp tongue you've got. She never knew respect." Donovan replied curtly, insulting her origins. Generations upon generations, the Desmond family had children with distinctive appearance. Brown hair and striking dark chocolate eyes. Aria, on the other hand, had bright white hair and blue eyes, closely resembling her mother.

"After all, I am more like my mum, rather than my father, aren't I?" She said, lightly reminding the man of her origins once again. Her father wasn't a bad man, just pathetic in her eyes. He desperately longed for his parents' attention and wanted to become the heir to succeed the family and gain their favor. In the end, he failed miserably, but got engaged to the woman he loved and lived an average life in the end. Nothing remarkable, but failed dreams stacked upon one another, buried deep inside his heart, before he died tragically due to a heart disease in his early 20's, right after his daughter's birth. Her mother was one of the most beautiful noble women out there, but her status was pretty low, since they were from a mixed nobility family. Their family had long forgotten about bloodline purity, so they were looked down upon by some noble families. Not that Aria cared. She called herself a proud Desmond since her early childhood, starting from 5 years old, when her mother died of stress, managing their multiple businesses. After her death Donovan took over many of them and kept them steady afloat, before transferring them all to his niece, when she was of age. The sheer amount of money that filled her pockets were immense. Though her father failed taking over the household, he was a great businessman, who amassed great wealth during his prime. But, unfortunately, he couldn't compare to the amount that Donovan inherited from their family.

"At least my foolish brother had enough self respect to find someone from a noble family. Even if it is a fallen noble one." He said and stood up from his desk. The man towered the girl, which was only to intimidate her psychologically.

"Enough about my deceased family. What did you call me for?" She said, since she wanted to get over with everything as fast as she could. She didn't like the thought of her family, since they were mostly referred to her as incompetent. They wrighed her down both at work and in her home life. She was constantly looked down upon by her family, due to them shaming her name even in their death. She was ashamed of having them as parents.

"I applied Damian for the same academy as you and Demetrius attended. I need him to pass the entrance exams. You must ensure that he gets into that academy at all costs." Aria rolled her eyes.

"You could've just hired a tutor. Why me?"

"You have enough experience and I, unfortunately, have more faith in you, rather than some tutor. Make sure that he passes his exams with flying colors." Aria was shell-shocked at the fact that he just ordered her to do so. However, she kept silent. She had no choice but to comply, since that very man not only holds power in her business, but her entire social circle of the powerful political fugures and elites. With a flickbof his hand, he would be able to take everything away from her, if he pleased to do so.