kel's smart?

March, 199X (time-skip)
Basil and Sunny had gotten closer. They visited each others houses more often. And although Sunny would often get homesick, he would still sleepover at Basil's. No one in the group thought about it too much, but when they did notice it - they all realized how often it had been.
Kel, Mari, Aubrey and Hero were walking to the faraway park together. Kel seemed to be distracted, looking off into the distance instead of teasing Aubrey.
Every so often he would let out a "Hmmm.." Is he really thinking? Is he trying to get the group to notice him? "Kel, what in the world can you be thinking so hard about?" Aubrey stopped in the middle of walking to ask him. "What? Oh... Yeah. Are Basil and Sunny dating?" Mari and Hero abruptly stopped aswell. They looked at each other, then back at Kel. He looked like a puppy waiting for a treat. Not sure if he actually will get one or not. "You doofus, why would they be dating? Why are you thinking that?"
"Although..." Mari began to speak, but quickly trailed off. "Well.. Basil gave Sunny a note on his birthday, right? What if that was a confession?" Aubrey was so confused, was she missing something? She didn't remember a note, and what else would make Kel suspect such a silly thing?
Kel gasped, then spun around and jumped for a second. "Woohoo! I'm right, I'm right! I'm smart! I told you, Aubrey! Or should I say.. Aubergine! I have a 300 IQ! Beat that!-" Aubrey stomped on his foot. "You're not smart. And don't call me Aubergine, it's weird. You only recently knew that was my real name because my mom yelled out for me." But Kel continued to tease : "But I remembered, didn't I? Therefore I'm smart!~" Aubrey sighed in annoyance and walked away. Kel chased her down. Hero and Mari continued to walk, though. Mari giggled at the two of them. "Do you think he's right?" Hero looked over to the cars driving past. "Aw.. My little brother is already dating! Before me, too..." Hero looked at her shocked, and flustered. "Um-"
Mari sighed dramatically, "If you hurry up already..." She held the back of her hand to her forehead. "Oh, my Hero, will you ever save me from this ever-lasting loneliness?" She gave Hero a smug look and ran off to catch up with Aubrey and Kel. Hero stood there in confusion, and with very red cheeks.