chapter 1: merman's pov

author's note: the following chapters are rewind in merman's point of view.

the moonlit shone its glare towards the surface of ever surging ripples on the water. it is that day again, where the brightness of the moon is at its fullest. he loves this milky white orb, slapping his tail on the surface of the water.

eh, a human?

he thought to himself. the human seems to be in distress as he is alone and his transportation vehicle seems to be... broken? the human kept on pacing back and forth, staring at a distance which seems to be waiting for someone to come.

he started to hum a tune, wanting to put him into a trance-like state. this tune called “drunken stupor” has little to no effect within his kingdom as everyone have their own mana and have ways to get out of trance. for a complete manaless human like him, it was enough.

the human started inching towards him. step by step, not minding that it's slowly getting deeper and deeper. as the human get closer, the merman clearly sees the former's dark, dull eyes indicating that he's still in a trance state. his small face that still has a hint of immaturity was covered with streaks of black hair. together with his slightly pale skin, it created a beautiful sight to behold.

as the merman saw this, he felt something bloomed inside him. perhaps it was love... perhaps it was amusement... well, one thing's for certain is that he is having fun.

he swam closer to him, afraid that he would not be able to get out of trance and drown himself. finally seeing one that piqued his interest, why let it go?

he chuckled, breaking the human in his trance.

“brave one, aren't you?”

well... not to mention that the merman put him intro trance. it was brave enough not to run after escaping that state of mind. who wouldn't be afraid when all of a sudden you are out deep in the water, all alone and hears a voice?

“who's there?”

the human shouted, appearing to be unafraid yet his voice betrayed him. you can clearly hear how his voice carried a hint of nervousness towards the unknown, a natural human reaction. he was out in the open while this “unknown” owner of the voice is in the shadows.

it's the sweetest voice i have ever heard.

the merman thought to himself. he didn't waste another second and appeared in front of him.

“yes, we are true. shocked?”

the merman said, a grin plastered on his face. he saw that the human was staring back and forth between his face and his tail.

this human is amusing. according to the legends, human would scram immediately after seeing one. yet what is this human doing? why would he resort to hitting himself?

he spoke in his mind as he saw the man hitting his own face with his palm.

“mermaid?”

-

author's note:

hello!! pardon me if there's a lot of grammatical errors as it's typed directly. feel free to comment anything and support me, not that i have anyone who supports me😭