Chapter 6

It was already late when we were in the hut. Neteyam came to see me. "First day wasn't so bad after all?" he asked me smiling. "Could've been worst" I admitted, smiling back at him. "I didn't think riding an Ilu would be so difficult" I said to him as he laughed. "but trust me, I will succeed riding an Ilu, soon or later". "I have no doubt on that" he replied gently "but don't put too much pressure on you" he said as he looked in my eyes. "I won't" I replied smiling at him. He laid his hand on my shoulder and went to his hammock. I fell asleep soon after.

The day after, Tsireya wanted us to do some breathing exercises. She said that it would help us diving in water. Neteyam, Kiri, Rotxo, Ksireya, Lo'ak and I were all sitting in a circle on a rock island. Ksireya was guiding our breathing. "Breathe in..". "And breathe out". We all followed her instructions. "Imagine a flickering of flame" she added "you must slow down your heartbeat". As I was trying to focus, I noticed that Lo'ak was staring at something. I followed his sight and then understood that he wasn't staring at something, but at someone. He couldn't move his sight away from Tsireya. I chuckled a bit. Neteyam looked at me, wondering what made me laugh. Tsireya then put one hand on Lo'ak's chest and the other a little lower, on his stomach, trying to feel his heartbeat. "Breathe in" she said to him "and breathe out from down here, breathe out slowly" I couldn't stop smiling assisting this whole scene. "Lo'ak your heartbeat is fast" Tsireya said. "Sorry.." he replied. Neteyam and I exchanged a smile trying really hard not to burst out laughing. Rotxo was smiling too, and Kiri rolled her eyes, which made it even harder not to laugh.

We used the rest of the day to practice again mounting Ilu. After every attempt, I got better and I could feel that I was close. After a few more tries, Neteyam became a pro. Then it was Lo'ak's turn. Tsireya kept giving me tricks and I tried my best to put them in practice. After a while they wanted to practice breathing and told me to come with them but I refused. I wasn't gonna leave the water until I succeed. They left, telling me not to give up and cheering me up. I got on my Ilu and closed my eyes, patting his neck. I focused, holding on thigh to the handling and gave it one more try. We dived in the water and swam together slowly. When I realized that I hadn't fall yet, I decided to go faster. I managed to do it. I had succeed. I went back to the surface and smiled. I had to go tell the others.

I swam with my Ilu and joined Kiri, Neteyam, Tuk, Tsireya and Lo'ak. They were all swimming. Their face lighted up when they saw me on my Ilu. Neteyam looked at me, smiling. He was proud of me. The others were smiling too as they all called their Ilus. They all got on, and we all swam together, turning around each other and doing "figures" in the water. It was such a beautiful moment. We then came up to the surface, to a beautiful sunset. Neteyam and I looked at each other smiling.

***

I saw Lo'ak sitten to the edge of the net, facing the water and I decided to join him. "Hey" I said as I sat next to him. "Hey" he replied smiling. "So..you like it here?" I asked him. "Yeah, I think I do, what about you?" he asked back. "I think I'm starting to appreciate what this place has to give" I said smiling, looking at the sea. "And Tsireya?" I asked him, chuckling. He turned his head to look at me. "What Tsireya?" he asked. "Oh come on Lo'ak, it's kind of obvious" I said laughing. "You're saying nonsense" he said smiling and completely denying it. "You like her don't you?" I insisted. "Stop Hayla!" he said laughing and pushing me a little. "I mean I could say the same thing with you and Neteyam" he said. The smile on my face completely disappeared. I looked at him confused. "What the hell are you talking about?" I asked laughing nervously. "Don't you dare deny it Hayla. It's been going on since forever" he said. "Their's definitely something between you two that is beyond friendship, it's obvious" he added. "No, I mean-" I got cut in my words by Neteyam. Oh great mother. "What are you talking about?" he asked us. "Nothing! Nothing important" I immediately said, not letting Lo'ak the time to answer. He frowned at us both, as Lo'ak smiled at me. He sat with us as we started to talk about home.

"How I miss flying in the Hallelujah Mountains" I said to them. "I do too" said Neteyam smiling, looking at the horizon. "I miss the lights of the forest" added Lo'ak. "Oh me too.." I said softly. "I simply miss the trees, the forest in general, I don't even know if I'll ever ride a Pa'li again" I said as I sighed loudly. Both of them looked at me. "You think we'll ever get back home?" I asked them as I looked down. "I don't know.." Neteyam said in a low voice. "I thought you kind of liked it here?" said Lo'ak as he looked at me, concerned. "Yeah, I do, but it's not home..It's not where I've grown up..". They both took me in their arms, comforting me.