Chapter Two - WICKED

"How could this happen?" A tall salt-and-pepper haired man paced the conference room angrily. "How do you mess up so bad? Who allowed this to happen?"

His colleagues cowered under his cold stare. Finally, someone piped up. "Thomas preformed the Swipe. He must've sent her down the wrong Box."

"Thomas?" Janson was livid. "Who let her brother perform the Swipe on her? What were you thinking? This could ruin the whole Trial!"

Teresa, the youngest member of the council spoke, "She could take my place. She's already in the Maze so pulling her out would just interfere with the Trial more. Besides, I'll be able to help on the outside."

Janson fumed and ran a hand through his hair. Teresa was the only one who could calm him once he got into one of his rages. "Fine. Fine. Where is Thomas?"

"Being prepped for the Swipe. He's meant to be inserted into the Trials today," a brave soul informed him.

Janson slammed his fist onto the table. "Tell me he hasn't gotten the Swipe yet. I need to speak with him."

No one spoke and that was answer enough for Janson. "All this work, for nothing! We won't even get a proper Trial! We'll have to start from scratch! Two years! We've been doing this for two years and all for what? A teenager to mess up the whole thing!"

"Let's just let it all play out. See what happens." Teresa had guts for sure.

"Fine," Janson concluded, "but if she starts messing things up, I'm pulling her out of the Trials right away."

No one questioned the gravity of his promise.